News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sensible upgrades?

Started by fraserdog, October 13, 2013, 10:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I've now got the Tiger and was wondering what sensible upgrades that could/should be done to it,both headlights come on together so that's been done,it's got a Palmer screen and rear hugger but what else might be worthwhile doing to it? Any info appreciated.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Mustang

Quote from: fraserdog on October 13, 2013, 10:27:49 AM
I've now got the Tiger ................... but what else might be worthwhile doing to it? Any info appreciated.
ride it

akendall1966

Mundane .... But unless you know its all been done recently, I'd give it a thorough service. Change all fluids and filters inc fork oil and brake fluid. Check your valve clearances, check all the hoses are good, clean the idle  steeper. Getting it back end of the summer means you can knock off these jobs a few at a time while the weather is not inviting you to ride. Then you start out in the spring with what should be a good reliable base line.

Boring I know, but all the bling and farkles are no help if it is running bad or leaves you stuck 'cuase something needs fixing. :-)
----AK-----

Timbox2

Fuel line Q/R's if they havent been done, do a search for more info.
2016 Tiger Sport

cdubya

Clean/lube lower shock to swingarm mount needle bearings.
06 Girly

fraserdog

Thanks for all the replies,according to the service records all the fluids/oil and filter have been changed within the last 3k miles,i'll check on the shock to swingarm joints for lube,it mentions somewhere in the history early on in it's life something about fuel lines (8mm elbow x 1?) also at the same time it had a regulator fitted (£157),that was 25k miles ago.The last dealer service was 3k ago with coolants and f&r pads and MOT with a total bill of £524 but it's a vague as to what has been done for all that money.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

If was you I'd strip the bike,seat off tank/airbox off and get cleaning because underneath you can bet your life it's minging,I've done mine this weekend to fit a new reg/rec and I couldn't beleave the state it was in and I only did it 6 weeks  :icon_sad:

Re the 8mm elbow that's not it,it's the females that you need to check,look in the how to.

fraserdog

Re the 8mm elbow that's not it,it's the females that you need to check,look in the how to.
[/quote]

Cheers.i'll have a look in the "how to"
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

Another simple job is to look under the seat and gaffer tape (how neatly is up to you) over every hole in the undertray you can find because no end of crap gets in there through them.  And there's a gotcha!! Some models have a hole UNDER the ECU which you can't see and lets water into the ECU and plugs eventually killing it.  Go for that one first. :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ix

Crash bars! Tigers are topheavy pigs and sooner or later, your bike is going over. Probably at a stop, on loose footing.

I love my topheavy pig, but I'm very happy I put crash bars on it.

(I also have made good use of the highway pegs on said crash bars. They help on long hauls.)
- Ix

fraserdog

Luckily it has come with new crashbars fitted,i think there Motad. :icon_smile: This is the bike I've bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300979508094?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Marc

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57