News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel line extensions

Started by fraserdog, October 29, 2013, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I'm contemplating checking/ balancing the throttle bodies,what is the best way to extend the fuel lines,what fittings will I need? Mine has the flow and return pipes (2002)
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

metalguru

The memory is a bit vague as not done one of these for a while, from what I do remember I turned the tank through 90 and supported the front on a portable workbench so the fuel pipes could be connected.

Be very careful if you have the original plastic connectors as they can shear off, change to metal ones.
When disconnecting or connecting lines be careful of the release catch as it can 'shave' the o ring seal.

If balancing the TBs it is a good idea to calibrate the guages first as the balance needs to be exact.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NortonCharlie

I bought a set of extension lines from Triumph, I was either feeling very lazy or they were fairly reasonably priced.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

fraserdog

I have just checked and I have steel elbow connections,i have a Carbtune balancing set(mercury columns) so I don't think calibration will be necessary.A set of Triumph extension hoses is £70 odd and I can't see paying that for how much I might actually use them,is there a special name for the connections or is there a standard hydraulic connection the same so I can just add some hose to them?.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

There was a new set on ebay a while back can't remember if they sold bad memory  :icon_scratch: but might Triumph Taunton.

SilverTiger

You might not need fuel line extensions - I certainly didn't when I balanced the throttle bodies on my '06 Girly in the summer.  Watch the triangular-shaped thingy (IACV) doesn't dismantle itself like mine did during balancing!  I carefully placed the tank to the left of the bike (when viewed from the rear) and mounted it on an adjustable-height bar stool I happened to have lying around. It was quite close to the bike but wasn't a problem, I just didn't need the extensions at all.  Although my TBs weren't far out of balance it made a noticeable difference doing this job, it felt much smoother afterwards. I cleaned out the air filter at the same time.  Cheers.  Ian.
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

Bixxer Bob

AS Ian says, and I keep banging on about, balancing the TBs is the single best thing you can do to these bikes.  Balance is critical.  I haven't commented on the hoses because mine is the single hose variety.  But on mine, I put my workmate to the right, with a board big enough to take the tank clamped to it.  The tank is right up close to the bike, cut the zip ties that hold the hose and the loom to the frame so that the hose and the fuel pump can be connected, no extensions needed.  Do the balance.

I'm not sure how your IACV dismantled itself Ian, the only time I had that was cycling it while off the bike.  What exactly did you do???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fraserdog

I was more concerned as mine has the 2 pipe system that perhaps they wouldn't reach.I have a spare set of throttle bodies/injectors from a single pipe system and was toying with fitting these but what would I have to do with the return pipe on the pump assembly,could I just blank it off do you reckon?
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

I'm not familiar with yours so can't comment.  There are a few on here that have had both models that could probably say.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Put another pump(latter version) in the tank they fit all the same.

iansoady

I have a pair of hoses you're welcome to for cost of postage plus a pint.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

And if the above doesn't have e'm I will assuming you still live at the same house!!

fraserdog

Quote from: iansoady on November 06, 2013, 05:42:57 PM
I have a pair of hoses you're welcome to for cost of postage plus a pint.

PM sent.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Soon sparked him into life  :icon_lol:

iansoady

Even though I am now a wee-strom owner I like to help out where I can...... :love10
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650