News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly went clickety click

Started by daveb, October 30, 2013, 07:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

Came home from a holiday in Lanzerote this week, went to use the Tiger yesterday morning - lights on, fuel pump primed (sound) then clickety click nothing, tried again.
I have replaced the battery as its never been changed my 06 model, charged it up, just tried it same again - no starty

any ideas guys

cheers
Dave

Chris Canning

It'll be a corroded connection the problem being where,I'd start at the earth and carry on guessing.

daveb

cheer chris, good job I dont work fridays, let the hunt begin  :icon_salut:

daveb

done some investigation work this morning, all safety switches were fine (clutch, sidestand, kill switch) so thought process led me to the neutral light. put bike on main stand, put tiger into gear rocked the rear wheel, put lever into neutral, would you believe it it started on the first push of button.
turned off, then tried to restart nothing, when through the gear lever process again, pushed starter button, she lives.  need a manual to find out how to replace the neutral switch i think.

NortonCharlie

If the side stand is up it should start regardless of the neutral switch. 
Neutral you get spark regardless of the side stand.
In gear, side stand down it should crank but no spark.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bixxer Bob

But as Dave says, if nothing else has changed except in gear / out of gear then you have to suspect the gearbox neutral switch
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

think the clicking was from the headlight relays, there was no cranking. once it rocked the bike in gear then returned the gear lever to neutral the bike fired up straight away.

Bixxer Bob

It'll be the relay that turns the lights off while the engine's cranking..
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

The return from the starter solenoid is routed through the clutch switch and there will be a voltage reading at the solenoid on the +ve.
If the clutch switch is slightly bad it will prevent the solenoid from engaging and so the starter not turning.
A good test even just to eliminate the switch from the fault finding is to disconnect the connector at the bar end and bridge the connections from the bike end of the loom. Personally I do this mod anyway and remove the switch as these little maladies give trouble at the most inopertune moments.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

daveb

after a few hours of fault finding with a mate, he tapped the starter motor casing gently with a hammer, tiger fired straight up. so the plan is to strip and clean starter motor, replace brushes and re fit.

metalguru

Well done that man  :thumbsup

That has to be first time for that one.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

daveb

before I remove starter motor, I will check the starter solenoid / relay to make sure its engaging.
had this failed on my previous bike - tdm850. had to replace this relay every 20,000 miles 3 relays in 65000 miles.
just checked the girlies milage 20,500

as its sunny here in wales today i will make the most of the weather on wheel her out of my shed on put her on my drive.

daveb

starter motor out, found the problem a sticky brush

As it a 2006 Tiger the Haynes manual for for the 955 bottom end, so I had to remove the Temp sender switch. had to buy a 22mm deep socket.

all back together

Tiger fires up every time :)
it has to be beer o'clock somewhere in the world.

Bixxer Bob

Something else to go on the list....  :icon_rolleyes:

daveb

one of the guys at work, went to start his bike tonight, took 3 attempts, as he is our electrical guy who help me out. says the starter motor on his DL650 sound a bit laboured might be sticky brushes hence 3 attempts.