News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 885i Starting Problem

Started by waterboy, October 31, 2013, 01:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

Hello fellow Tiger Owners,

I am new to the Tiger phenomenon with my new (to me) 1999 885i.  I've been using this site to identify all the problems and tune up suggestions with much success for my 42k mile bike.

Unfortunately, one problem I inherited with the bike is a lack of power/effectiveness at the starter switch on the handle.  When I press the starter switch the dash lights go dim but nothing happens at the starter.  It acts like its being robbed of power to activate the solenoid.

The previous owner also had this problem and his solution was to splice in jumper wires to the starter and pull the seat off each time he started it by using the jumper wires directly to the battery.

I almost did a Sasquatch Voltage Fix but realized just in time my 885i didn't need it.  What other issues might I be encountering for this model bike that is keeping my starter switch from working or having the power to activate the starter solenoid?

Thanks in advance!

Waterboy

Mustang

start with the starter button (nice play on words  :ImaPoser )
take the switch housing apart and  clean the contacts with emery cloth (fine sandpaper)
if no joy , start following the wires and take apart any connectors in the circuit and clean the contacts in the connectors .

that'll keep ya busy for awhile . report back

fill in your profile location...........it helps we're global ya know .

WELCOME ABOARD !

Bixxer Bob

If using a separate switch solves the problem it's most likely crap in the bar switch, or in one of the loom plugs between the switch and the solenoid.  There's one behind the cowl for starters. 

Easiest first step (and I emphasise this is only if the under seat switch operates the starter normally) is to remove the two cross head screws holding the bar switch in place.  When you separate the two halves be aware that the throttle cable and its guide will want to fall out, just remember which way round it goes then you won't have to work it out later.  As a tip,  I have an old digital camera I keep in the garage and photo anything I'm not sure of before I mess with it.  You can just as easily use your phone.

Once you have them apart, inspect the copper contacts inside for problems, disassemble, clean and reassemble as needed.

If nothing found, then you're into finding where you're losing the volts.  If you can use a multimeter now's the time to get it out.

Haaaaa! beat me to it  :icon_mrgreen:  I thought this location malarkey was fixed???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 31, 2013, 01:49:51 PM

Haaaaa! beat me to it  :icon_mrgreen:  I thought this location malarkey was fixed???
IT IS!
Waterboy signed on before I had the fix in place ............. :icon_rolleyes:

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

waterboy

Thanks All.  I will plan a good cleaning and wire trace this weekend.  :icon_biggrin:

waterboy

Turned out just to be bad contacts in the starter switch.  Thanks for the suggestion.  For all the time the previous owner spent wiring in jumper cables I'm surprised he didn't clean the contacts first.  Oh well.

On a side note I put in new quick connect fittings on the gas tank and I have a leak at one of the metal elbow fitting inserts.  Could it be as simple as replacing the o-ring?

Mustang

:eusa_clap

put a new o-ring in and coat it with a dab of grease
it will help the mating part fit in without damaging the o- ring. :icon_wink: