News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Question on Alternator Amperage Output... Service vs Instruction Manual

Started by Hatepylons, November 06, 2013, 04:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatepylons

I have a 2005 cast wheel Tiger and I enjoy riding into winter. After dropping some beer insulation, I can't seem to layer up enough to keep my hands warm at 35F. So I need some heat for my hands. I've abstained from adding ANY electrical load on the bike up to this point, and that attitude (I think) has served me well. Bike has 45K miles on it, and has the original charging system with no issues.

In preparation of upgrades, I'm getting an updated MOSFET R/R. Was going to leave the Stator alone for the short term. Based on my factory service manual, it says the output is (max) 35 Amps.

So, I hop over here: http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.htm to do a conversion to Watts. So; 35A on a 12V system = 420 Watts.  But there are many, many threads on the board that calls out the Stator output at 350W - running the conversion backwards yields a 30A Stator.

Is my service manual (gasp) wrong? What's the best way to verify output?

Hatepylons

:bug_eye

To add even more confusion, the specification in my owners manual says the alternator is a 40A unit. Thoughts?

Mustang

either way 420 or 480 watts you should be able to run heated grips or gloves .
even if your system is taxed you could always unplug one headlight bulb and gain 55 watts of power for toasty pinkies .

Hatepylons

Quote from: Mustang on November 07, 2013, 05:30:04 AM
even if your system is taxed you could always unplug one headlight bulb and gain 55 watts of power for toasty pinkies .

That is such a simply brilliant idea I would have never considered it. Well played.

Hatepylons