News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New owner with big worries

Started by chrisw, December 03, 2013, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisw

Good Evening

I bought myself a steamer yesterday and it seemed ok

Today Ive fired it up and it wont rev over 3k .......... The oil looks milky on the dipstick but that could be a bit of condensation ( I hope so anyway ) ...... there is still coolant in the expansion tank and no visible leaks

In the service history there are 2 receipts for carb cleaning so Im hoping that its just a blocked jet or two and not a head gasket
Suggestions please ,,,,,,

Chris

akendall1966

If it has been stood idle for while pilot air ways will block and give symptoms like you described. A thorough clean of Carb wont do any harm.
----AK-----

Frosties

Nice looking bike fella - shame it's not black   :icon_mrgreen:

As above, they don't like being left so a carb clean (including fuel switch)  should sort it.

Failing that, maybe the coils are starting to give up or a possible kinked fuel line. Could be a blocked air filter of air leak between carbs and engine.

Let us know how you get on.

97tiger885

You might be able to clean the carb pilot circuits by adding a carb cleaner such as Sea Foam to the gas.  I did that when I had your symptoms.  I let the mc idle for about 20 minutes and it improved to the point where I could ride it.  Took it out on the highway for 20 miles or so.  Problem disappeared.

chrisw

Thanks for all the help guys and reassuring to see that no one thinks its a head gasket ..........
Carbs removed and cleaned thoroughly ........ ready to go back on
Tank removed and fuel dumped ....... fresh going in ..... I think its a combination of water and crud in the carbs so fingers crossed all will be well when the carbs go back on Friday or Saturday
Ill post the results ....wish me luck
Chris

Bixxer Bob

You've probably read it a dozen times, but you MUST poke through the pilot jets and airways.  They're easily missed if you don't know what to look for and it WILL run like a pig if you don't.  There's lots of good info on here about how  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 05, 2013, 09:52:52 PM
You've probably read it a dozen times, but you MUST poke through the pilot jets and airways.  They're easily missed if you don't know what to look for and it WILL run like a pig if you don't.  There's lots of good info on here about how  :thumbsup

+1 on that, don`t rely on soaking the carbs in cleaner or whatever, remove all the jets and poke a strand of wire through them all  :thumbsup

chrisw

Ok I put my carbs back on and a bit better ( it actually runs now ) but still rough and bogs down when throttle is cracked open

I found a load of water ( I think ) in the petrol ...... and what look like flakes of paint and dirt in the bowls

Ive stripped em again and poked out every orifice ( oooooh matron ) I can find and left them soaking overnight , try again tomorrow 

Does the external brass tube ever get clogged ?

Sin_Tiger

Water in the tank  :icon_eek: time to check the drain tube from the filler recess (carefully) plenty of info here if you search  :icon_study:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

You`d be better off removing all the actual jets and poking a strand of wire through(if you haven`t already)

In my experience, soaking them overnight won`t clean them properly.

As you now know, taking the carbs off is a pain.

Not heard of that external pipe blocking up, mainly the jets are the problem.

chrisw

Thanks folks ....... Ive got all the jets out . pilot . main/needle and the little tiny one .....

All have been cleaned with a fine wire , sprayed through and they all allow carb cleaner through and light so the blockage if there is one is in the main body

Also Im stil not convinced weve got all the water out yet so the carb bodies are baking on a radiator tonight for perfect dryness ..... fingers crossed we will have a happy tigger tomorrow  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Bixxer Bob

I'm working from memory so someone will jump in and put me right, but I think I remember Mustang banging on about a tiny airway in the float bowl that always gets missed??  Or did I just make that up???? :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Squirt some Carb cleaner up the hole the pilot jet screws into. Cover the holes it squirts out of with your fingers until the only one it comes out of is the tiny one behind (engine side) of the butterfly.
If the Cv slide diaphragm is out you can squirt some down the brass tube for piece. of mind.

Halford do a can grey in colour of Carb cleaner the is higher pressure good to blast the crap out.
----AK-----

chrisw

Ok Ive got it sorted ..... turns out I had a few issues including a blocked fuel tank drain resulting in a load of water in the fuel and then when Id finished cleaning the carbs for the 4th time Id damaged the float or ings and had to do them as well

After all that I got my 1st ever proper ride on a steamer    :wheel

Well worth all the trouble , Its a horrible cold wet day here but Ive done about 50 miles and enjoyed every one , My riding is a bit rusty but Im sure this bike will look after me .

threepot

I was out yesterday..cold,wet roads. But the Tiger's so competent in these conditions. Enjoy your bike :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger