News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I lost my virginity today

Started by DavidR8, December 15, 2013, 01:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

Ok,settle down...

Tank removal virginity that is. I had to pull the tank to replace the rad cap. No such a big deal, took me maybe 20 mins which included 5 mins trying to lift the bloody battery out of the box.

After that it was easy. I am now however in the market for a shorter 5 mm Allen wrench for the bolts  on the inside of the tank opening that hold on the trim bits for the signal lights.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Bixxer Bob

I have to admit to laziness on that one.  I do them up finger tight, press gently on the outer plastic immediately behind the spigot that the screw goes into. That allows me to get another turn on with my fingers. Releasing the pressure puts enough tension on the screw to hold it,  no need for an allen key and never lost a screw. So far anyway and it's been 5 yrs......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

DavidR8

Good point Bob, it one stage in the reassembly it had done exactly that. But I'm always nervous about losing very specific fasteners.

For whatever reason the battery box only has one of the bolts that go into the tank. I will be replacing both with a 5 mm Allen bolt because trying to get the Torx screwdriver in there was a bugger.

I'm a big fan of having tools on the bike that are necessary for the minor/semi-major work.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Chris Canning

I've found the trick with taking the tank off a Tiger don't have it off the bike too long  :icon_wink:

blacktiger

Quote from: DavidR8 on December 15, 2013, 01:06:38 AM
After that it was easy. I am now however in the market for a shorter 5 mm Allen wrench for the bolts  on the inside of the tank opening that hold on the trim bits for the signal lights.

The 5mm Allen key is a common beast as, over the years, I've accumulated several. A hack saw is your friend my friend.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.