News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

auxillary air chambers

Started by JayDub, December 19, 2013, 10:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Hi all, I've not long had my steamer and one job I have to do is replace a cracked lefthand (nearside) auxillary air chamber.  On researching I've found various configurations, mine has long swivelling rubber tube on the RIGHT side pointing backwards to the exhaust, and on the LEFT just a simple rubber blanking cap.  I've seen others which have the tube on the left side/cap on the right, and some with a tube both sides.  It makes sense to me to have a tube each side (what would be the point in having an airbox on each side if theres a cap on one!).  Can anyone tell me the correct set-up for my 95 model? also, should these aux air chambers have some kind of filter inside? - Thanks, Jay.

Geoff W

One intake must be blanked off, otherwise it will not run at all well. On mine the Right is blanked, Left is open. I have put a simple metal sieve over the intake to help the main filter. Putting a piece of high air flow foam in the air chamber should help protect the main filter, although I have not done this. Cleaning the main air filter is a pain. Read Mustang's " how to" thread. It is all true.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

JayDub

Thanks Geoff, I'll look that one up, It seems in need of a service.  I've balanced the carbs which has improved the popping on over-run and slow running.  There are thin foam tubes/sleeves inside the aux chambers and it looks like someone has drilled 10mm holes down one side of the tubular plastic inserts maybe to improve airflow? I wish people wouldn't tit about with things in that way, if it ain't running right there's usually a reason!

JayDub

I can't seem to access the airfilter how to page as I keep getting directed to the log-in page instead!

Sin_Tiger

Don't fret. If you buy a new genuine filter, and you'll probably have to as many get ignored because of the faff involved with changing/cleaning them, you get a new box included if I recall correctly  :icon_scratch: it might pay to have a close look at your carb rubbers at the same time, she doesn't suffer air leaks well    :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: JayDub on December 20, 2013, 04:18:53 PM
I can't seem to access the airfilter how to page as I keep getting directed to the log-in page instead!

Fixed it for ya!!  :qgaraduate
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

97tiger885

Quote from: JayDub on December 20, 2013, 03:45:09 PM
Thanks Geoff, I'll look that one up, It seems in need of a service.  I've balanced the carbs which has improved the popping on over-run and slow running.  There are thin foam tubes/sleeves inside the aux chambers and it looks like someone has drilled 10mm holes down one side of the tubular plastic inserts maybe to improve airflow? I wish people wouldn't tit about with things in that way, if it ain't running right there's usually a reason!

My 97 has the right side capped off and the left side is open with the tube/filter insert.  I recall Mustang telling me he thought the primary use of the tube filter was noise reduction rather than dirt reduction.  I have been running mine without the tube for a few years.

JayDub

It seems that the standard config is the right box is capped and the left has the snorkel. Thanks fellas.

ssevy

Maybe it changes from country to country, depending on which side of the road you are supposed to ride on? (More dust from the shoulder side of the road?) Just kidding...you'd have to keep switching it every time you crossed a border where the proper riding side of the road changed :icon_wink:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

JayDub

Not a problem where I live then! maybe you're right as the snorkel was on the right when I got the bike, but its not an import, obviously the PO thought like you, and lived in the south of england where the weather is warmer so more dust   :icon_lol: