News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clunk When I pull away

Started by butchoboy, February 09, 2014, 09:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchoboy

I have an 05, 955i, when i pull away I get a clunk sound, sounds like its coming from my left foot area, had new chain, cush drive and checked all bolt etc but still doing it, its sounds like a sproket loose and taking up the slack, when i slow down it does the same as if the slack is going back if you see what i mean, have anyone else had the same problem, cant find out what it is.

Boo

Can I assume the chain is not slack? Check the swinging arm bushes.

butchoboy

checked chain and swinging arm bushes

exchead

front sprocket worn or broken teeth/badly hooked up,splines worn on sprocket shaft or sprocket if its an after market one allowing play before drive is taken up

Bixxer Bob

Take the front cover off and check the sprocket.  They have been known to work loose.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: butchoboy on February 09, 2014, 09:39:16 PM
had new chain, cush drive and checked all bolt etc but still doing it,

:iagree  My money is on the sprocket too

You didn't renew the sprockets at the same time, false economy mate.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

If you are still  :icon_scratch:  you can bring it round, I'm only about 20 minutes from you......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NortonCharlie

I would bet on a problem in the rear wheel cush drive.  Something binding.  Get it up on the center stand if you got one put it in gear and jerk the back wheel around until you locate the clunk
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

butchoboy

Tried all of above, new cushdrive fitted at a well known bike shop in Norwich, (not a triumph dealer may I add) which checked everything, had it in twice, ended up saying it must just be a Triumph thing, The chap who is 20 mins from me, I would be interested in popping round sometime, if you email me your details to butchoboy@aol.com, Thanks

Chris Canning

Quote from: butchoboy on February 10, 2014, 10:37:31 PM
Tried all of above, new cushdrive fitted at a well known bike shop in Norwich, (not a triumph dealer may I add) which checked everything, had it in twice, ended up saying it must just be a Triumph thing, The chap who is 20 mins from me, I would be interested in popping round sometime, if you email me your details to butchoboy@aol.com, Thanks

Haha John boy looks like you've got the short straw  :icon_biggrin: 'The chap who is 20 minutes from me'!!!! that's a cracker :icon_rolleyes:

metalguru

Wonder if the cush drive is re-assembled correctly and the sprocket carrier is in the correct position in the rubbers. Chain too tight and found the tight spot!

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Quote from: NortonCharlie on February 10, 2014, 05:18:01 PM
Get it up on the center stand if you got one put it in gear and jerk the back wheel around until you locate the clunk

:nod

Timbox2

Also check the front chain rubbing block, hidden right behind the left footpeg on one of the engine mount bolts, mine had swivelled and worn right through to the spacer it sits on.
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 15, 2014, 03:27:25 PM
Also check the front chain rubbing block, hidden right behind the left footpeg on one of the engine mount bolts, mine had swivelled and worn right through to the spacer it sits on.

Ditto,
Id also look at the sprocket carrier bearing.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

AndyandTiger

Butchoboy...did you end up getting this resolved? Mine has started doing it and I'd be interested to know what the source of the clunk was.