News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tubes?

Started by HeavyHustler, February 20, 2014, 06:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

So which brands of tubes do you prefer?  Have you used slime to just get home?  What kit do you always carry in case of a flat?
:wheel
Cheers,
Mark

Mustang

one's that hold air  :hat10

as far as kit goes .................... credit card and a cell phone .

I've been cross country on m/c many times , a flat is the least of your worries. :bad

97tiger885

Quote from: HeavyHustler on February 20, 2014, 06:38:21 PM
So which brands of tubes do you prefer?  Have you used slime to just get home?  What kit do you always carry in case of a flat?
:wheel
Cheers,
Mark

I carried everything needed for a flat for a few years.  You need two wrenches for the front tire.  You need a socket and a socket wrench for the rear tire.  You need a bead breaker.  You need tire irons.  You need one tube or a patch kit.  You need an air compressor or cartridges. I put together my own kit. 

Then I used two pistol cases and a pvc tube to carry it all.

The hammer is for the bead breaker (and road respect).

The only reason I did this is because I usually travel alone and occasionally got out on lesser traveled roads without cell phone service.  I wanted a chance to repair a flat out there.  I hit those roads less often now; so, I no longer carry all that stuff.  I am with Mustang, a phone and a credit card.

A better option is to go to cast wheels or to convert the OEM wheels to tubeless.  Then all you need is a small plug kit and a compressor.

HeavyHustler

Hmmmm.  Ok I got most of that stuff so that's good.  I understand about just making a call but there's sometimes the chance you can't call.  If I buy some spare tubes do I just buy the exact size for my tyres?
I am running 150.70.17 & 110.80.19

Mustang

finding a 17 inch rear in the right size is the hardest part ...........

but yeah you use your tire size.
this will help you shop
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/search/go#w=inner%20tubes

ever tried breaking the bead on the rear steamer tire with only the tools you are going to carry ?

cell phone and credit card option starts looking really really good ! :thumbsup

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on February 21, 2014, 06:23:05 PM

ever tried breaking the bead on the rear steamer tire with only the tools you are going to carry ?

cell phone and credit card option starts looking really really good ! :thumbsup

Hence, the hammer.  Never tried it on the rear.  Did use it to change a tube on the front.  No problem there.

If you dont have cell service, you walk or get a ride to where there is service.  If you are nervous about leaving the mc, carry a bike chain and lock it to a tree, guard rail, etc.  Just remember to use the GPS to mark your location and to take the GPS with you so that you can find the mc later.  Learned that lesson the hard way once  in TX.

ssevy

I've never used a hammer to break a bead, but a large C-clamp has always worked pretty well for me. I did buy a pair of those fancy Motion Pro bead breaker spoon combination, but they were useless on street tires. Never had a dirt bike, but I hear their beads are much easier to break?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

I bought one of those bead breakers from Best Rest.  Worked very well, on the living room floor anyway  :icon_redface: bit of a faff putting it together is all.

I'm tempted to order a set of those tyre levers that interlock to form what you might call a tyre plier but then I thought why was it I went tubeless?   :BangHead
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: 97tiger885 on February 21, 2014, 04:58:22 AM
A better option is to go to cast wheels or to convert the OEM wheels to tubeless.  Then all you need is a small plug kit and a compressor.

+1. Which is what I just did.

In the overall scheme of things I have only had one puncture in 40+ years of riding, but you never know..... Because it was a tubeless tyre it was the work of a few moments to stick a rubber wormy thing in, pump it up and carry on.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

HeavyHustler

What did you use Nick?  I just got some info on the Outex system from Japan.  Looks good to me and has had good reviews.  Even the guy from Woodys Wheels thought it was pretty good.
Which begs the next question......do the stock rims have that safety bead I hear other riders talking about?

Mustang

Quote from: HeavyHustler on February 24, 2014, 09:36:55 PM
Which begs the next question......do the stock rims have that safety bead I hear other riders talking about?
:nod

nickjtc

Quote from: HeavyHustler on February 24, 2014, 09:36:55 PM
What did you use Nick?

Get your favourite beverage du jour, pull up a chair in front of the fire and read this. It covers the process I chose to follow and discussion about rims etc. Reply 22 covers the rim issue.:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13225.50.html
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

HeavyHustler

Thanks lads!  BTW FWIW I bought the longer Motion Pro bead breaker set and it's the mutts knutts on my street tyres,  Swapped 6 so far.  ;)

Sin_Tiger

These are the ones I was talking about, is that what you were using?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 25, 2014, 11:30:55 AM
These are the ones I was talking about, is that what you were using?

Yup!  Piece o piss to break the bead..........first go broke the bead all the way round.