News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weekend Free in Austria & No bike. Any ideas?

Started by mat-tiger1, February 25, 2014, 03:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

Hi All, i have a dilemma!  :icon_scratch:

I'm out in Austria (Frohnleiten) with work at the beginning of April & have the weekend to myself, not knowing the area & more importantly not having my bike  :icon_evil:
I wondered if anyone could suggest any motorcycle persuits in the area to occupy me? I fancy a bit of trail riding or off-road exploring,  :nap
Are any of you locals over there and can recommend somewhere to try?  :wheel
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

blacktiger

KTM factory visit? Mattighofen.21.5 miles NW of Salzberg as the KTM flies.

Austria is like Germany as in off road verboten unless it's something like the Erzberg rally.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

mat-tiger1

Cheers H, I might consider that as a fall back option. :thumbsup
I'm not having much luck with bike hire in or around Frohnleiten! :nap :icon_sad:
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

nickjtc

You could always sit in the pub with a nice glass of ale (or two) and think about riding...  :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

mat-tiger1

Quote from: nickjtc on March 27, 2014, 05:55:52 PM
You could always sit in the pub with a nice glass of ale (or two) and think about riding...  :augie

I hear ya & yup sure sounds good!  :thumbsup

I've got a big trip planned for July;  http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/29-meets-a-runs/269954-selkent-2014-10-countries-run-30062014-04072014.html So I guess I could look at  planning the beer stops for that one!  :icon_lol:

chairhead

Mat,
I've posted on an Austrian/German forum that I write on about your situ, maybe some will come back to me with a bit of luck   :icon_wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

This so far mate,
QuoteHi
Frohnleiten is only 25 km north of Graz.
In Graz:

Motorradklinik http://www.motorradklinik.at/ and click Rent-a-bike for Ducati, Triumph or Honda.

Euromotors http://www.euromotors.cc/index.php/vermietung for BMW or Kawasaki

Motorrad Huetter http://www2.honda-huetter.at/kontakt.html they do rent out Honda, Vespa but do not have that online yet. Closest to Frohnleiten and not far from my home. This is kind of extended test drive if you think about buying a vehicle.

Andy

PS: give that guy my email addy and phone, he may contact me

I'll pm you Andys details.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

mat-tiger1

Ideal, thanks for your help with this one!  :thumbsup
I'll be working in Frohnlighten but I think we might be staying in Gratz (need to check itinery) so these sound ideal. I'll message your contact & let you know how I get on!  :wheel

mat-tiger1

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, turns out that a weekend rental (in Austria at least) needs to be collected before 12am on the Saturday & also needs to be a minimum 2 days hire period. As I didn't get into Gratz until around 4:00pm, so hiring something didn't work out.   
But there's light at the end of the tunnel! Chairhead posted my plight on an Austrian/German forum & I got in contact with a really nice chap called Andy who lives right here in Graz. He picked me up in his 50 yr old MZ sidecar outfit & took me on a mini-tour of the city, we picked up some pizza & beer & he took me to his home & I had a meal with his family!   
So even though I didn't get to ride myself, I still had an adventure! 

A big thanks to 'Chairhead' & especially Andy & his family for putting up with an foreigner for the evening!   

Cheers everyone!

Sin_Tiger

That is just brilliant, all that and Pizza  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

chairhead

Mat,
Im glad it all worked out for you, Andy is a real Gem of a bloke, hope you had a good time  :icon_biggrin:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel