News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RIDE MAGAZINE's Best Bike Survey

Started by Bixxer Bob, March 15, 2014, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 16, 2014, 10:34:52 PM

I too felt that about MCN, maybe that's just the way it came across from buying it on the news stand and reading it.

Then on Wednesday I read (in MCN) about BMW's attitude to Kevin Ash's widow after the inquest and my blood boiled. I was ambivalent towards that make but I swear I will never allow myself to be associated with a company that has this sort of disregard for people and mightier than thou attitude. I think they may have seriously under estimated the respect that the motorcycle community at large had for Kevin and will not come out of this well no matter what kind of spin they put on it.
The lack of an editorial comment however speaks volumes to me at least.

Is that last Wednesdays? I didn't buy a copy this week. Will have to try to find a copy.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: robxxxx on March 17, 2014, 12:50:51 AM
The journo's may think they are ruthless Chris, but lets not forget that most of the current crop of bike mags are owned by the Bauer Media Group. And that cant be a good thing. A large company owning most of the bike press. They are in it for the money, and not the few pounds we pay them, but the advertising revenue. So they can write what they like, but my guess is that the editorial staff have to work overtime to "tailor" things.
I was in the Hi-Fi trade for about 20 years and the same thing would happen there. Product gets a good review, and the mags are on the phone trying to sell you ad space.
And just so you don't think I am pointing the finger at BMW, let me give you an example. The 1200 Explorer top end problems. Lots of owners had issues with this. Any mention in MCN? When Triumph finally did the recall, what did MCN do, yea they printed a small column on about page twenty down one corner.
We get the press we deserve.

By the way Chris, the VFR1200, do you mean this review that got 5 stars?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/honda/honda-vfr1200f-2010-current/

You obviously never read the original right up,the write up in your link isn't good either so who's the one being selective!!! doesn't look 5 star too me.

As for the rest of your post the journo's have no connection to the add dept it's on another floor,the only exception you get is with the like's of 1200 VFR,the journo wrote the article about the bike and they had to bring in the great and the good from Bauer in the middle of the night actually I'm not sure if it was still EMAP anyway they burned the midnight and in the end realised the trade need the media just as much as the other way round and they printed,look for the article by Phil West.

Honda went absolutely banana's.

As for the Triumph top end that's because YOU have one how about VFR R/R or my K1200 that can be a mechanical monster clutchs/gearbox/shaft drive, if the mags or MCN did a post everytime a manufacturer had a problem there'd be no room for anything else.

Just think it's funny that the public think the journo's are selective when the reality it's the other way round.

I read the article on Kevin Ash,I wasn't happy with it either but like all corperate companies they cover their arse and you can substitute BM for any other manufacturer you'd get the same result they'll admit nothing.

threepot

+1. I never owned a modern British bike until the Thruxton in 2010. I was amazed at how well built it was and had to keep kicking myself that I did not get a Triumph sooner. Stanley seems to be just as well made (and actually made in England), despite the design and engineering idiosyncrasies.  :icon_wink: The proof of the pud'n will be in the riding, of course.
[/quote]

A friend of mine traded his 900 Monster in for a Thruxton. He's had it 3yrs now and loves it. Think that sums up where Triumph now stands. I'm loyal to the marque,but pissed off with spare parts prices :icon_evil:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: threepot on March 16, 2014, 09:16:44 PM
I've noticed that MCN get a lot of stick on Youtube for being 'over' complimentary/biased towards Triumph.

Only made this point because what I have read  on Youtube. Maybe the testers have got their heads up Triumph's arses? Or maybe people don't like the truth,and that Triumph are making class-leading bikes. I'll tell you somebody that Triumph has pissed off.......Nick Saunders. I watched something the other day,about his 'round the world' exploits..he didn't even mention or show the Daytona he used on one of the trips. All Yamaha!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

I can't remember if it was MCN or one of the mags but one of them had a 1050 Triumph either a sprint or Tiger anyway they ran it out of oil and it went pop,the journos wrote an article about if burning oil and Triumph quite rightly got the hump because no one checked the oil and boy did they fall out in some spectacular fashion and that went on for some years hence the irony in the original post.

And don't ever go thinking that all the mags and MCN are on the same footing MCN look down their nose's at the mag's in fairness because the journo's at MCN can ride a dam sight better,regardless the average guy out there wouldn't keep up with any of e'm.

Sin_Tiger

Quoteyou can substitute BM for any other manufacturer you'd get the same result they'll admit nothing.

No arguments there.

Article was in 12th March edition, doubt you'll find a copy now, I'll pm you later.

I spoke to Nick Saunders at a show,  odd character (and that's coming from me  :icon_wink:) I liked the guy and agreed with a lot of what he had to say but he did strike me as being a bit mercenary, he gets what he wants the way he wants it or he just walls away  just my impression.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

I bought my first 885i ,after a couple weeks order the aftermarket pipe and bypass tube when it comes the bolt that holds the can to the rear of the frame is miles out,even when I went to the company that was making it and they put Triumph on the phone and even then they wouldn't admit it was a F up,it's the way are,although it comes to warranty work I'll take BM over Triumph or anyone else for that matter.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 17, 2014, 05:43:09 PM
Quoteyou can substitute BM for any other manufacturer you'd get the same result they'll admit nothing.

No arguments there.

Article was in 12th March edition, doubt you'll find a copy now, I'll pm you later.

I spoke to Nick Saunders at a show,  odd character (and that's coming from me  :icon_wink:) I liked the guy and agreed with a lot of what he had to say but he did strike me as being a bit mercenary, he gets what he wants the way he wants it or he just walls away  just my impression.

Hence why so many of trips end up in a bust up  :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

Got an MCN Sin.  Although harsh, I can see BMWs point.  They'll have to show the evidence if it goes to civil court though :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

That's what I thought and why I couldn't understand the position they were taking.  :icon_scratch:

Anyway, back to your original subject.

The fact that this is owner feedback gives me some heart. In my experience a lot of the newer Tiger owners are more the go it alone type and therefore not as group organised as say the GSA bunch who tend to be more like a bus load of ramblers when it comes to militant organisation.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I think there coukd be a bit of the Android thing going on with Triumph owners as well.  What I mean is I tolerate Android's sometimes clunkiness because there's no way I'd follow the crowd in buying anything by Apple, even if it is better. Which it's not but that's a whole other arguement. :icon_mrgreen:

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 17, 2014, 10:19:46 PM
In my experience a lot of the newer Tiger owners are more the go it alone type and therefore not as group organised as say the GSA bunch who tend to be more like a bus load of ramblers when it comes to militant organisation.

Nothing to do with newer,at one stage there were 5 Tiger sites on the go 3 Yahoo this one and the RAT,the originator of this site actually went and bought a GS  :icon_rolleyes:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 17, 2014, 11:37:59 PM
In my experience a lot of the newer Tiger owners are more the go it alone type and therefore not as group organised as say the GSA bunch who tend to be more like a bus load of ramblers when it comes to militant organisation.

Nothing to do with newer,at one stage there were 5 Tiger sites on the go 3 Yahoo this one and the RAT,the originator of this site actually went and bought a GS  :icon_rolleyes:

That's not what I'm talking about Chris, read it again.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 18, 2014, 01:33:40 AM
Quote from: Chris Canning on March 17, 2014, 11:37:59 PM

That's not what I'm talking about Chris, read it again.

I've read it again and it says the same the GS have one site their not militant but do they stick together,with 4 bikes I use god knows how many websites,Tiger owners are very go it alone(actually I'd say very strange) and always have been hence why there are and have been so many different websites(I know of no other bike like that) the slightest blip 'Oh I'll set up another website'

You'll note that the GS forum includes all GS's from stone age to watercooled the Tiger lot have a different site for each model you don't have to tell anyone that Tiger owners are the go it alone type it's a mentality thing  :icon_wink:

Delve into the Hilltop remap thread on the GS site if you want to know the difference between GS and Tiger owners.

Sin_Tiger

Where did I mention anything about websites?