News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How effing heavy?

Started by Bixxer Bob, March 20, 2014, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

After seven years of ownership it finally happened, the old girl took a nap on me today. Tipover switch works ok  :icon_rolleyes:

First problem was finding a neighbour to help pick her as she was lying down a slope. Eventually collared Bertie, a retired teacher.  We got her up but he was speechless with the effort, and eventually - when he could speak - all he could say was "how effing heavy"?

He's not a biker and couldn't believe it was possible to ride something with so much weight.  He then got interested in how you manage it - parking, stop/starting, how the stands are used etc.  I think I earned some respect,  but it might just be he thinks I'm mad......

Oh, and the Touratechs worked fine as Chris often says. A scratch on the crash bar (which needs a repaint anyway) and on the rubber on the bracket that locates the pannier at the back. Now I know why all those bits are so heavily over engineered......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

If you fancy seeing what over weight is try having a look in the trips thread for my Alaska trip and what we took with us. I weighed the fat lump at one of the Canadian self weigh stations for trucks and was amazed at the result................almost half a tonne with rider and fuel, nbo wonder when it took a nap two of us couldn't lift it  :nap
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

I trust you didn't suffer at all?

Give me Bertie's number and I'll spare him from wondering any longer  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

It is funny you don't realise how much work Touratech put into those crashbars until you use e'm  :icon_biggrin:

Bixxer Bob

Very true Chris. It was a lack of speed, my off-camber gravel drive and the front washing out so yes, I was ok, just stepped off. :icon_redface:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

topher0268

I'm sorta short (5'7" on a good day in my big boy boots) so mine tends to take naps in parking lots with oil slicks on the ground. Just not enough inseam to get it back under control when a foot slips. It's those times I realize that it IS nice to be built like a middle earth dwarf when trying to dead lift a fully outfitted Girly .......
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Bixxer Bob

I was lucky that Bertie was around. Without the panniers she was laid flat and oozing fuel from the overflow onto the exhaust. Watching petrol boil is a worrying experience.  I quickly moved the overflow pipe and got an extinguisher just in case.

It made me start thinking about how I'd get her up on my own though.  I've read about lifting techniques but can confirm (for me) they only work if the bike is on a pannier.  A floor lift is too low.  I'm thinking about some sort of lever that I can slide under the bike, attach to a footrest or similar, and then lift/walk her up.

Or I could just not be a twat n the first place......

HockleyBoy

They are a bloody nightmare to pick up. I got blown over in one of the storms earlier in the year. I was stationary in the fast lane of the a13 in torrential rain and a very strong gust of wind took me over.

If the van driver behind hadn't got out and helped me god knows how I would have got going again, certainly couldn't budge her on my own, it was a nightmare even with 2 of us against the wind.

Touratechs did their job in my case as well  :icon_biggrin:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

I have seen a strap (old seat belt) used when you have trouble getting low enough or getting a good grip.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like a idea. Think I'm going to have to play with this ...... but not with a full tank :icon_rolleyes:

Sin_Tiger

Old duvet comes in handy.

Bixxer Bob

Sin_Tiger

If you get  :nono for using the duvet,  it wasn't my idea  :icon_lol:

danieljlecoq

I just got an 02 Girly. I'd like to put some crash bars on her but am having trouble finding any online. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
2002 Girly - black

cba191

I may be wrong, but I think thunderbike and hepco Becker are the only ones still making them.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce