News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

instrument and head lights flickering at 2500 rpm and above

Started by raiderone, March 22, 2014, 04:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raiderone

I was riding my 04 tiger tonight and lights started flickering on the instruments and the headlight. It would quite when the clutch was pulled in. It kind of seems to cut out a little too I couldn't run it up above the 3000rpm range do to the local smokeys running around town. It started doing it after I had ridden about 100 miles ,stopped for dinner with the wife and that's when it started doing it on the ride home. I put it on the charger for an hour went back out and it is still doing it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

John Stenhouse

Ignition switch contacts, the solder connections on the back of the key degrade over time. For a check grab the wiring and wiggle if it cuts out or stops flickering you have your culprit.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

raiderone

Ok I will try that. Do you think the vibrations at above idle would make do that because it will stop when the clutch is pulled in and the rpms drop, and it will not do it idling in the garage until I up the revs.
Thanks

chairhead

Check your main fuse, then check your battery leads are secure and then check the voltage output with ignition off and then on with bike running.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

raiderone

I had my battery tested and it was shot, replaced it and it seems to be doing better, I am going to order a r/r from ricks and replace it just to be sure

metalguru

Maybe prudent to carry out the voltage mod while you are there with the RR unless already done of course.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.