News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front endy too bendy?

Started by Nick Calne, March 23, 2014, 10:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

When it comes to braking "late" is never good!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

It's taken me years to successfully bleed my front brake.  The rear has always locked easily, especially if I wasn't thinking about it (like the time I got it wrong approaching a roundabout.  I thought the car approaching was taking the exit before mine and so I wasn't making any attempt to stop as there was room behind him for me.  But he didn't, he came round.  I bottomed the front, locked the rear and dodged behind him somewhat sideways due to the locked rear. No way could I stop, but I slowed enought to avoid a collision).

I recently cleaned the calipers, pistons and seals, refitted everything but, crucially, held the calipers up as high as the brake pipes would allow when changing the brake fluid.  It's very important to get the left one above the height of the mudguard.  Result is for the first time the lever is firm and stayed firm.  In the past it's always gone a bit soft after a day or two. 

I know this isn't new news or rocket science, more a case of getting round to a job I should  have done ages ago.  when I opened the bleed nipple for the first time to do the fluid change a small bubble of air came out.  Probably the same bubble that's been causing the problem.  Maybe I should put this in the Jobs You Should Get Round To section   :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

It's odd how easy it is to put this sort of thing off.  Oil change? All done. Gotta look after the engine.  Bleed the brakes and save my life? Yeah I'll do it next week...

Maybe we ought to have the public New Year's resolutions thread for overdue service items...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

You're right Nick, in our busy busy lives we tend to just live with niggly little issues instead of getting on and fixing them.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 11, 2015, 08:14:50 PM
You're right Nick, in our busy busy lives we tend to just live with niggly little issues instead of getting on and fixing them.

Ah yes, but you guys have an excuse to put stuff off....... you can ride almost 365 days of the year.

We here really have no excuse because the bike sits and looks at you smugly all through the winter. Daring you to make the time to go and do all the stuff that needs to be done. With no excuse, because it's too flippin' cold to ride anyway. Of course, an unheated garage with minus temperatures might be considered a deterrent too  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sasquatch

Add to your list to replace the fork springs with some of proper rate.  You use up a lot of braking energy compressing the mushy front suspension.  Making no other change but fork springs, you will think you added 25% to your braking power.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us