News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Death Wobbles!!!

Started by HeavyHustler, March 25, 2014, 01:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

Sooooooo.....some may know what I'm about to ask and have the answer at the ready.  Thanks you in advance!  ;)

I received this Tiger last summer, 24k on the clock, old Avon Distanza's on it, and the front end was lowered 3-4".  Bike rode fine=no death wobbles up to 115mph. :wheel
Stock settings for the front end is that the fork tubes are flush with the top triple tree.  I ended up leaving 3/4" showing as I was concerned about being able to touch the ground.
Started riding............wobbles.  Very strange as they would start out slow and progress.  Off throttle they go away.
Did the outex tubeless conversion and threw on a set of Full Bore Adventure tyres.  80-110mph = death wobble.  If I hit a bump in the sweepers......death wobble.  If the wind hit the bike........death wobble.  Sometimes the wobble would start at 85 and disappear at 90.......92......death wobble. :icon_eek:

Thoughts?

nickjtc

Correct pressure in the tyre? Tyre balanced properly? No run-out in the front rim? Steering head bearings ok? Wheels aligned? Prior crash damage to the front end? Concrete blocks in the luggage on the back? That's all I've got.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

HeavyHustler

Tyre pressues good.  Balanced, check.  Rim is good, check.  Steering head bearings ok since it was fine before I raised the front. 
Prior crash damage, check.  Current crash damage, check.  ;) 

How many people still run their fork tubes flush with the triple tree?

nickjtc

Quote from: HeavyHustler on March 25, 2014, 04:16:18 AMHow many people still run their fork tubes flush with the triple tree?

I do, but do not know any better.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Wheel bearings? the problem may have been there all along and was hidden with the forks lowered (maybe that's why they were lowered) I've no issues with mine flush at the top triple tree but that's how I got it, and the rear has been lowered but don't know by how much.  An old bike mechanic told me if the wobbles at the front then the problem is at the back and vice versa, ain't been over 90 on mine yet anyway!

ram33

so if you put the front back to 3-4" lower, is it all ok again?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Sin_Tiger

3-4" is a huge drop. I have had wobbles but usually only at steady speed, acceleration or decelerating used to cure it. Bumping the pre-load up also helped, so agree with Jaydub's suggestion.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Yes the acel/decel has worked but I think I'll start with lowering the front.  I also need to realise that adventure tyres aren't made for high speed sweepers!  LOL!

Mustang

:nono :nono :nono :nono :nono something is seriously fucked if you have to drop the forks 4 inches to keep it from death wobbling .
the forks should be even with the top triple clamp .
the rear chain adjuster should have the axle on the bottom .
and your rear preload needs to be set so you have around 1 1/2 inch sag .

sounds to me like your rear suspension is junk (read you need a new shock)
I can run at a ton plus with adventure tires and loaded luggage . and the only wobble I ever get is when I'm dancing with semi's at 95+ mph

97tiger885

Quote from: HeavyHustler on March 26, 2014, 06:55:45 AM
Yes the acel/decel has worked but I think I'll start with lowering the front.  I also need to realise that adventure tyres aren't made for high speed sweepers!  LOL!

The only wobble I had at fast but reasonable speeds in sweepers was from a worn shock.  Two things happened there.  The mc would be fine until  I hit a slight bump mid turn, then a wobble.   In left hand turns,  the bump would cause the centerstand tang (SW Moto) to drag.  Sasquatch fixed all that.

HeavyHustler

Well then..........I see racetech has a kit for $160.  Time for a rebuild.  Until then I'll keep it at 80.  ;)

HeavyHustler

I had rebuilt the rear shock a few months back but I guess I'll look at a new spring.  Not too many options for springs front/rear though???

Mustang

Quote from: HeavyHustler on March 28, 2014, 07:46:07 PM
I had rebuilt the rear shock a few months back but I guess I'll look at a new spring.  Not too many options for springs front/rear though???
no offense but I'd be lookin at what you did for a rebuild ........a new spring aint going to do shit for a wobbling front end .
whats your static sag set at ?

Sin_Tiger

:nod :nod :nod the only other possibility I can think of that often gets neglected is the saying arm and linkage bearings but good damping should catch that before it gets out of hand.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Mustang on March 28, 2014, 08:16:49 PM
Quote from: HeavyHustler on March 28, 2014, 07:46:07 PM
no offense but I'd be lookin at what you did for a rebuild ........a new spring aint going to do shit for a wobbling front end .
whats your static sag set at ?

None taken.  I tore the shock down, cleaned it up.  Fresh oil and a recharge.  I'll admit it was still squishy but thing weighs as much as an elephant!
Sag was set at about 40mm.  Then adjusted it to the stiff side.......for an old shock still squishy.  Rear axle is also set at the bottom setting.  Never changed it.