News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel cap removal

Started by TigerT, April 04, 2014, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerT

My fuel cap seems to be broken. The key won't go right in.
I have taken out all the allen keys but can't remove it from the tank.
How can I get it out without knackering the tank?
Thanks
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Mustang

pretty sure you have to unlock it before it can be removed , even if you took the bolts out.

TigerT

Ah, that could be a problem!!
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Bixxer Bob

WD40.

Soak it overnight then with a fine wire manipulate each pin until they all move freely (you COULD wiggle them with the key but you don't want to risk breaking it). Once the pins are free the key should go in. Don't forget to get some WD 40 down the side of the lock barrel as well.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

exchead

Quote from: TigerT on April 04, 2014, 09:35:17 PM
Ah, that could be a problem!!
tiger T where in east sussex are you? do you get anywhere near cr :waveowborough seen a few Girly owners ride past my house

rf9rider

If its like a Steamer cap, there`s another bolt, you have to unlock the cap to get to it.

TigerT

Hi exchead
If you mean Crowborough, I live there!
Am on the bike every day so you may have seen me about, let me know where you are.
Thanks all for tips, a good soaking with WD40 seems to have loosened it. Don't trust it now so will get a keyless one I think
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

exchead

Quote from: TigerT on April 05, 2014, 08:08:35 PM
Hi exchead
If you mean Crowborough, I live there!
Am on the bike every day so you may have seen me about, let me know where you are.
Thanks all for tips, a good soaking with WD40 seems to have loosened it. Don't trust it now so will get a keyless one I think
yes sorry crowborough it is u have a pm