News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Centre stand sump bracket Question

Started by London_Phil, April 07, 2014, 10:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi All.
After purchasing a centre stand from ebay, I found it did not have the sump bracket for the spring. The cost of a replacement was prohibitive, so I made a temporary one.
Sadly it was not really strong enough, and tended to flex, but most problematic was the fact that the stand was very limp when up.
I set the spring pivot in line with the rear mounting screw, which may be wrong, so questions.

1) any one got a photo of the bracket, from the side, showing the position of the spring mount in relation to the mount holes, and

2) If you have a centre stand, how "springy" is it when up?. I needed a bungy to stop mine bouncing around.

Regards

Phil

nickjtc

Assuming it's for a Steamer, go here: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13380.0.html

Reply 3 has a clear-ish pic of the bracket. Note that there are 2 springs involved, one inside the other, so the stand does not bounce around at all.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Phil, if you get stuck let me know and I'll try to make one from a new one as a pattern,  got one in the loft  :augie as you do :icon_lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Hi Sin.
Appreciate that offer.
I have part fabricated a replacement for the one I made last summer. All I need are some photos, and possibly some dimensions, so I can ensure correct tension when stand is up. If its not buried too far, some pics would really be appreciated, which reminds me, must go photograph my cockpit frame, as you asked a while ago..
Regards

Phil

Sin_Tiger

No problem,  will try to do that tomorrow,  after I fix the heating boiler for the missus,  got to get your priorities sorted  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Fantastic pics....Thank you.  Well used bike, I would say..

It confirms my stand is a Steamer stand, BUT, I actually need shots of the sump bracket, side on, where the spring arm hitches to the engine. My first attempt to fabricate a bracket put the pin, or lug, in line with the rear mount hole. This resulted in a very floppy stand.
I have fabricated a new mount bracket, and just need to know how far forward I need to mount the lug, to get a better spring action.
Sorry to be a pain, but due to the number of speed humps, sleeping policemen etc in London, I need to stop the stand swinging in a lazy arc every time I traverse one, whacking the road and then bouncing on the stops. Certainly turns heads......

Regards

Phil

Sin_Tiger

So just to confirm, the stand you got is definitely the SW-Motech one HPS.11.121.100 as shown in the link Nick posted and as in the pics 885 last posted?

You need the dimensions of items 7 (buffer) that bolts to the sump and 8 (Spring reverse) that hooks onto item 7 and connects to the spring at the other end?

I've got these and dug them out of the shed, so will take some pics with dimensions and post them shortly.

London_Phil

Thanks Sin.
Its deffo a Steamer Unit, and its only the dimensions of item 7 needed, as all the other bits are there.
Its all fitted, and you can get item 7 ( my home made one, at least) off with the stand on, but careful maneuvering of the replacement bolt will be needed.
Again, mucho gracias

Phil

97tiger885

Quote from: London_Phil on April 11, 2014, 10:27:47 AM
Fantastic pics....Thank you.  Well used bike, I would say..

It confirms my stand is a Steamer stand, BUT, I actually need shots of the sump bracket, side on, where the spring arm hitches to the engine. My first attempt to fabricate a bracket put the pin, or lug, in line with the rear mount hole. This resulted in a very floppy stand.
I have fabricated a new mount bracket, and just need to know how far forward I need to mount the lug, to get a better spring action.
Sorry to be a pain, but due to the number of speed humps, sleeping policemen etc in London, I need to stop the stand swinging in a lazy arc every time I traverse one, whacking the road and then bouncing on the stops. Certainly turns heads......

Regards

Phil

Now it is a RPITA.

I will pull the bracket in a few days and post photos.

This is the best I can do for now.

97tiger885

97tiger885

What spring did you use?  The stock spring is actually two springs, one inside the other. 

London_Phil

Your a star. Thank you.
That gives me all I need to know.
On a side note, the tension spring looks to have little "stretch" in the photos,
does your stand snap firmly into up position?.
Regards Phil

Sin_Tiger

Beat me too it  :pottytrain2 I got caught up with domestics  :nono

If you can work it out from that, good, If not then I have my spare sitting on the desk now, PM your address and I'll stick it in a paddy bag to send on Mon morning and you can use it as a template and send it back when you're done.

Sin_Tiger

Just a rough freehand as I don't have Acad on this machine yet.