News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tires

Started by TigerDaveMN, April 08, 2014, 04:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerDaveMN

I'm new to the world of Motorcycles and picked up a 1999 Tiger at the end of last year and started to look for some new shoes for her but I have a couple of questions I could not find a strait answer too on any of the forums. So I coming here to ask the experts.

1. Being that they are spoked rims = tube tires - do I have to find tube tires to mount or can I use any that are the same size?
I really want to put the Mitas E-07 Dual Sport Tires on as I'm looking for a good 50/50 tire but they don't come in a tubed form and don't know if I can just put a tube in a tubeless tire...

2. Does the rim for a tubed tire have a different kind of bead then that of a tubeless? Is it better to buy some new rims for the tubeless tires so I can have more options?

I'm hoping to hear that its all good to use tubes in a tubeless tire as the options for tubeless tires are far better then that of just the tubed tires...

thanks for the help!

lukeman

You are fine running a tube in a tubeless tire. You just can't go the other way around.  Been running shinko 705 and PR3/4 with tubes for years now.

Its also possible to seal the rims with epoxy or something similar (info in 955i FAQ). 

Mustang

Quote from: TigerDaveMN on April 08, 2014, 04:33:20 PM
I'm new to the world of Motorcycles and picked up a 1999 Tiger at the end of last year and started to look for some new shoes for her but I have a couple of questions I could not find a strait answer too on any of the forums. So I coming here to ask the experts.

1. Being that they are spoked rims = tube tires - do I have to find tube tires to mount or can I use any that are the same size?
I really want to put the Mitas E-07 Dual Sport Tires on as I'm looking for a good 50/50 tire but they don't come in a tubed form and don't know if I can just put a tube in a tubeless tire...
you can run a tube in tubeless tires with absolutely no problem .they come that way when new from Triumph
Quote2. Does the rim for a tubed tire have a different kind of bead then that of a tubeless? Is it better to buy some new rims for the tubeless tires so I can have more options?
generally yes but in the case of the tigers .even though they have tubes in them the profile of the rim in the bead area is the same as tubeless rim
I'm hoping to hear that its all good to use tubes in a tubeless tire as the options for tubeless tires are far better then that of just the tubed tires...

thanks for the help!

TigerDaveMN

I knew I came to the right place!  Thanks for the answer, that was exactly what I was looking for!

cba191

I just ordered a set of E-07s for an upcoming Alaska trip.  I'm hoping that they will last the whole trip.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce