News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A few questions

Started by rex007can, April 15, 2014, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex007can

So I got a 2001 Girly a few weeks ago and have been riding it daily for a ~week now.
Which leads me to a few questions.
First, about the bike.
I know the bike was "rebuilt" after probably A crash. Can't find any aesthetic signs of a crash though, I'm thinking the frame was replaced, it's just too clean for a 14 year old bike.
It has 30K miles on the clock, but I'm not 100% sure I can consider those "original" since I know it was rebuilt. I know because here in Quebec, it's written on the registration papers.

So, now the questions.
1) My previous bikes were an old air head and a Guzzi. LOTS of valve tapping.
On this one, when it's fully warmed up, I hear a little bit of valve tapping. Really not NEARLY as loud as the beemer, but some.
Is this normal on this type engine? Or should the valves be dead quiet?
Do these valves need to be set (like air heads)?

2) Little bit of clutch noise (rubbing noise) when in neutral and lever released.
Again, Guzzi and Beemer had dry clutches with fat throwout bearing. Hell... the goose on neutral sounded like a loaded drying machine...
So again... normal clutch noise? It's not dragging, but it's a noise I'm not used to. I've never had a wet clutch before (it's also due for an oil change).

3) I performed the Sasquatch mod last week. When cold at idle, I get 13.0-13.3v on the meter. (it has a volt meter instead of a clock)
When hot, voltage slowly drops, idle to ~11.8 and 12.7 when rolling. When I add load (brake lights, heated grips), voltage can drop even lower.
Now... I ordered a regulator (MOSFET instead of SCR).
But...I need to chack the stator too... I think it may be partly fried...
Can someone point me to the proper URL where I can get the correct resistance values between coils and ground?

4) Is a sidestand for, say, a 2004 about 2" shorter? Cause it sure seems like the sidestand on this is at least 2 inches too short. I put a brick under it at home.
How long SHOULD the stand be??

5) Finally, the PO claimed that the bike fell over and it tweaked the bars and the tree, result being that the front is slightly misaligned. Steering points slightly left, so I have to steer a bit to the right when going in straight line. Not much, maybe 3/4 inch off... but still... is that even possible?? If I loosen the tree does it really have a chance at straightening out? I've never heard of that... I'm thinking the forks are tweaked and the PO lied on that one. If I let go of the bars, it pulls left a bit.
Any of you guys know a cleaver and easy trick to detect tweaked forks without taking them off the bike?

That's it for now...
Thanks in advance.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Bixxer Bob

...The questions.
1) My previous bikes were an old air head and a Guzzi. LOTS of valve tapping.
On this one, when it's fully warmed up, I hear a little bit of valve tapping. Really not NEARLY as loud as the beemer, but some.
Is this normal on this type engine? Or should the valves be dead quiet?
Do these valves need to be set (like air heads)? 

The valves are shimmed; wear is generally to the valve seat so gaps close up not get bigger, so noisy is good, quiet is not so good.  Check is battery box out, indicators and tank off, valve cover off, gasket is reusable so no issues there.

2) Little bit of clutch noise (rubbing noise) when in neutral and lever released.
Again, Guzzi and Beemer had dry clutches with fat throwout bearing. Hell... the goose on neutral sounded like a loaded drying machine...
So again... normal clutch noise? It's not dragging, but it's a noise I'm not used to. I've never had a wet clutch before (it's also due for an oil change).

Clutches are generally a bit noisey, noise goes away when lever is pulled.

3) I performed the Sasquatch mod last week. When cold at idle, I get 13.0-13.3v on the meter. (it has a volt meter instead of a clock)
When hot, voltage slowly drops, idle to ~11.8 and 12.7 when rolling. When I add load (brake lights, heated grips), voltage can drop even lower.
Now... I ordered a regulator (MOSFET instead of SCR).
But...I need to chack the stator too... I think it may be partly fried...
Can someone point me to the proper URL where I can get the correct resistance values between coils and ground?

Easy step by step guide:  http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

4) Is a sidestand for, say, a 2004 about 2" shorter? Cause it sure seems like the sidestand on this is at least 2 inches too short. I put a brick under it at home.
How long SHOULD the stand be??

Dunno,  Chris might have a clue here.

5) Finally, the PO claimed that the bike fell over and it tweaked the bars and the tree, result being that the front is slightly misaligned. Steering points slightly left, so I have to steer a bit to the right when going in straight line. Not much, maybe 3/4 inch off... but still... is that even possible?? If I loosen the tree does it really have a chance at straightening out? I've never heard of that... I'm thinking the forks are tweaked and the PO lied on that one. If I let go of the bars, it pulls left a bit.
Any of you guys know a cleaver and easy trick to detect tweaked forks without taking them off the bike?

Support the front off the ground, slacken everything off, let it align around the axle, ensure both fork tubes are level with the top yoke and tighten everything up again.  It should align itself fine.  If not, you need to drop the tubes out and check they aren't bent. 

That's it for now...
Thanks in advance.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

As I'm aware all the side stands are the same from 99 to 2006,in actual fact there's a Tiger forsale on UK ebay that Bixxer could do with putting it up as a sticky for reference,I'm sure we have talked about it before but it's a mag wheel rolling chasis with an RS engine so it just goes to show that the engine mounts and frame have never changed.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Blimey I'm not that quick had to copy and paste then photobucket rather than just post the ebay ad although their are some other usefull photos that I'm sure at some time will be a good reference.

NortonCharlie

The short side stand, probably the last owner lowered the bike by flipping the eccentric on the rear axle 180 degrees.  Then needed to hack 2 inches off the side stand.  I have an extra short one if anybody needs one.  I bought an 01 that had been lowered. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

rex007can

Thanks for the info guys.
Reassuring stuff.

I'll try the fork loosening this weekend and see.
I'm glad everything else seems to check out.

NortonCharlie

Check the rear wheel alignment to, get that off a little and it will steer off a bit.  The marks on my swing arms are pretty much right on the money. 

Do most of you with eccentrics find your factory marks good?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

rex007can

Quote from: NortonCharlie on April 16, 2014, 12:47:00 AM
The short side stand, probably the last owner lowered the bike by flipping the eccentric on the rear axle 180 degrees.  Then needed to hack 2 inches off the side stand.  I have an extra short one if anybody needs one.  I bought an 01 that had been lowered.

Anybody knows how long in inches it's "supposed" to be?
I'd like to confirm it's shortness before I start the process of replacing it.

NortonCharlie

Bottom of stand (at about the center) to center of pivot hole about 13 inches.  Or about 2.54 times that many cm.  My shortened one is a little under 12 with kind of a funky bend to it.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

rex007can

Darnit! I measured and it's 13"!
I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it!

Mustang

just because the stand is the correct length , doesn't mean that somethings not FUBAR somewhere .

the bike shouldn't lean over like this

check the attachment bolts to the bracket etc. etc . , look for something bent
as you mentioned this is a salvage bike , yes?
QuoteI know it was rebuilt. I know because here in Quebec, it's written on the registration papers.

chairhead

Has it got the correct shock absorber?, a longer one will shorten the wheel base and when the side stand is used it will lean over further.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

rex007can

From what I could see, the bracket and the stand itself looked fine.
Can't see anything wrong with it. I'd guestimate the lean at between 60 and 70 degrees. Closer to 60 though.

I'll take a look at the rear shock, maybe that's the culprit.

rex007can

So...  Did the oil change today.  Had to remove the belly lan.  Realised the the culprit is probably the rear shock.
Its so high when theres no load that the chain is resting on tje swing arm joint...
Ill have to lookinto that.