News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Early-Girly Swingarm bearings?

Started by Strumpet, April 22, 2014, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strumpet

Hi Gents - bit about my bike in the intro threads, but thought I'd start a new one to ask this question.

My bike's completely stripped with the front and rear ends out; I'm in the process of trying to revitalise an 84000 (plus, speedo is broken!) mile 955i Girly. I've done wheel bearings, ordered head bearings, and today stripped the swingarm out to grease what felt like good bearings to find them rusted with broken cages... so that'll be every bearing in the chassis then...  :BangHead

Two problems which should be overcome once I get the bits into the workshop at work; swingarm bearings don't want to come out and the shock lower sleeve is seized in the shock - a replacement Hagon, but obviously been there a while. Third problem I need some help with. The bike is fitted with two bearings (one per side) which are 25 i/d, 32 o/d, 26 wide. The recess in the swingarm for the bearings is significantly longer and I see there are commercially available bearings in 26 and 38mm... the machined housing looks like maybe it should have the 38mm bearings in.

I've done a search on here, but can't find a reference to the correct bearing. It does seem, however, that the Steamers use two of these 26mm bearings per side, which suggests to be that one per side may be inadequate here. Does anyone know the correct dimensions of the Girly swingarm bearings? Thanks.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Strumpet

Thanks. Yes, a very useful source of info (this is my fifth triple, so I found it a while back :icon_biggrin:), but in this case not much help. The link is to the later, cast wheel bike; I should have said mine is a 2001, spoked one - thread title amended. The bearings are very different and are no longer listed on the relevant page. The diagram shows one roller bearing each side, but gives no info in the list below, hence the plea for help.

Strumpet

Well, now have the bearings out thanks to the right tool and a hydraulic press thing which did the job in seconds. The bearings that came out are 26mm wide, the recesses much longer at 39mm. The seals are listed as 25 32 4, so 4mm wide which leaves 35mm of recess for a bearing. 38mm won't fit, so I'll buy 26mm again. Still seems odd to me that this bike has only two of these bearings when the Steamer uses 4... guess I think too much. 

Also got the other nasties fixed, so a few new bits on order and she'll be on her way back together.