News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

on fire !!!

Started by ynotbiker, May 01, 2014, 06:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynotbiker

Hi all, havnt been around for a while. The bikes been out of action over the winter having work done. This was an engine out job. It wouldn't go into gear. The problem was a bent gear selecter so while it was out it near enough had a recon engine ie piston rings,valve stem seals,cylinder head gasket, carbs ultrasonically cleaned and also had a new rear shock fitted. Everything was hunky dory and I did about 500 trouble free miles over the last couple of weeks but its now back with the local mechanic. While I was out riding the bike was losing power gradually throughout the day and eventually just stopped. I was thinking it was maybe something to do with the carbs.It started this morning but then there was a lot of burning plastic coming from a small box coming from above the carbs when I looked from the side of the engine.  I thought the bike was going to go up in flames and turned the engine off. Surely there must be an inline fuse somewhere to stop this? Would really appreciate the help just to give the mechanic the heads up because as you know these steamers really get into your blood thanks tony.

ram33

only small box above the carbs i can think of is the coils?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

ram33

how much did you pay for the valve stem seals?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Mustang

Quote from: ynotbiker on May 01, 2014, 06:11:04 PM
Hi all, havnt been around for a while. The bikes been out of action over the winter having work done. This was an engine out job. It wouldn't go into gear. The problem was a bent gear selecter so while it was out it near enough had a recon engine ie piston rings,valve stem seals,cylinder head gasket, carbs ultrasonically cleaned and also had a new rear shock fitted. Everything was hunky dory and I did about 500 trouble free miles over the last couple of weeks but its now back with the local mechanic. While I was out riding the bike was losing power gradually throughout the day and eventually just stopped. I was thinking it was maybe something to do with the carbs.It started this morning but then there was a lot of burning plastic coming from a small box coming from above the carbs when I looked from the side of the engine.  I thought the bike was going to go up in flames and turned the engine off. Surely there must be an inline fuse somewhere to stop this? Would really appreciate the help just to give the mechanic the heads up because as you know these steamers really get into your blood thanks tony.
you melted a coil due to a stuck transistor in the igniter unit (ecu)
been there with my 95
you'll need a new igniter and a new coil  bring your wallet they aint cheap
start searching ebay for a used igniter .................................

ynotbiker

anybody got any of the above parts hanging around,or point me in right direction I need meee steamer now  :wheel

ynotbiker

Quote from: Mustang on May 01, 2014, 07:16:51 PM
Quote from: ynotbiker on May 01, 2014, 06:11:04 PM
you melted a coil due to a stuck transistor in the igniter unit (ecu)
been there with my 95
you'll need a new igniter and a new coil  bring your wallet they aint cheap
start searching ebay for a used igniter .................................
thanks mate for heads up on this,its but my mind at rest knowing what it is top man.

ynotbiker

Quote from: ram33 on May 01, 2014, 06:50:25 PM
hi mate looking at work sheet they where £8.52 each so 12 of them £102 hope helps.

ram33

Quote from: ynotbiker on May 01, 2014, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: ram33 on May 01, 2014, 06:50:25 PM
hi mate looking at work sheet they where £8.52 each so 12 of them £102 hope helps.
ive seen them for £24 for 4 -still expensive for waht they are  :icon_sad:

search google for triumph cdi
there are a few for about £100 for trophy but not sure they are the same?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

JayDub

Quote from: ynotbiker on May 01, 2014, 07:56:28 PM
anybody got any of the above parts hanging around,or point me in right direction I need meee steamer now  :wheel
I came across this opportunist on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGER-900-885-CDI-ECU-ECM-BLACK-BOX-/321388713620?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4ad4429694
He has coils too:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGER-900-885-IGNITION-COILS-/321391603121?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4ad46eadb1
but most people seem to replace the OE ones with Nology ones.
If you search: tiger 885 900 you'll find others.

Sin_Tiger

That must have been  :bug_eye would definitely had your pants on fire. I thought I had a spare but just had a rummage and it was something else, hope you find something soon.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ynotbiker

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 01, 2014, 11:37:48 PM
That must have been  :bug_eye would definitely had your pants on fire. I thought I had a spare but just had a rummage and it was something else, hope you find something soon.
thank you anyway yes was a bit of a shock it nearly had a bucket of pond water over it....bugger just missed a ecu unit on ebay someone quick on the draw  :ear :ear

ynotbiker

hi all finding it hard to find igniter unit is there another triumph model I could look out for might have to buy new dont know how much they are. :bug_eye

London_Phil

You could Try Triumphant ( http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/ ) or Niks Euro Bits ( nik-w on Ebay Uk). Sandy at Triumphant has everything, but he,s not the cheapest.
Then theirs national Triumph ( http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/ ) who may have spares. Most 3 cylinder Triumph ignitors for the Carbed bikes will work, but they will have different power curves and rev limits, and will be designed for different cams etc, but I have a spare one from a Trophy (1290060) if you really desperate.
You could also try  these guys http://www.ignitech.cz/en/ who provide a home made replacement.
Have you googled the fault to see if its fixable?
If I am correct, you can replaced the output drivers on the ECU which are some form of switching transistor.

Have a look at my old post ( when I was Mimbox!)

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6678.msg44345.html#msg44345

Regards

Phil

Mustang

I repaired the igniter on my 95 when it happened .

you need a good meter like a fluke ......

there are three separate transistors in the ecu .
one for each cylinder .
you need to find the bad one . thus the meter , the bad one will ohm out different on the base and emitter pins .

if you are not skilled at electronics repair or have to ask what is a base and emitter pin, well then you are pretty much done , and should keep looking for an igniter .
install the transistor wrong and it won't last long , not to mention melting coils isn't cheap.

the real trick involves being able to source the correct replacement transistor .

twiggy1080

Have you tried http://www.triumphhinckleyparts.co.uk ? They have a lot of Tiger parts and seem quite cheap :icon_biggrin: