News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1996 Triumph Tiger 900 Steamer -

Started by sweller, May 03, 2014, 07:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweller

I'm selling my Mighty Triumph Tiger 900 - yes, it's been changed a bit and yes, it's matt black but it has been a great touring machine.

Full details and more pictures at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181398710661?

The auction starting price is £649 GBP - The bike is located in Brighton, Sussex, UK

A proper adventure bike that has taken me round a big chunk of Europe - both West and East. I've used it on winter trips to Eastern Germany and summer jaunts to Madrid, and again to bike rallies in Slovenia, and a long haul round the Balkans (Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia), Romania, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey - making it into Asia from Istanbul and all points in between. As well as bread and butter commuting and travelling about Britain.

All with total reliability - mad heat in the Bulgarian summer, snow in the German winter (Elefantentreffen) and the usual awful rain at home. It doesn't use oil when being used as a cross-continental missile, coped really well with the frankly dreadful roads in Romania and Bulgaria and a bash at the Stella Alpina (a simple gravel track up into the Alps from Bardonecchia, Italy).

Forget the Touratech BMWs of Ewan and Charley, this old Triumph has let me me do it! I'm including the aluminium hard panniers and Metal Mule pannier frames (one of the pannier boxes has a few creases from when the bike fell off the stand. D'oh! - but is still usable). They even come with free country stickers!

I'll also include a full printed copy of the genuine factory manual - very useful.

It has had the sprag clutch modification done (with receipts) and I rebuilt the carbs with new O rings, emulsion tubes, jets, needles and gaskets - this is over £100 in parts alone. I have a stack of receipts and service history from me and the previous three owners.

It has Akront wheel rims front and rear to replace the original Triumph ones which rot out on the early models and decent replacements are fairly rare - now no longer a problem on this bike.

I've tried to include as high quality pictures as I can - but I'm no David Bailey - click on the ones below to get much larger copies in a new window.

This is a 1996 carburettor model of the long running Triumph Tiger range - sometimes known as a "Steamer", because of the basic technology.... It has a full MOT and is currently on SORN.

Below is a summary of the modifications and points of interest. It's not exactly standard or pretty but I'm guessing you could tell that from the pictures. It is however a bloody good work horse and tourer, comfy, powerful and can cope with nearly all road surfaces.

• Full 12 months MOT (01/05/15)
  • MOT certificates going back to 1999 (first MOT)
  • Heavy Duty Fork Springs (Genuine Triumph)
  • Hand guards
  • Renthal Bars
  • Heated Grips
  • 12v supply at handlebars
  • Akront Rims - front and rear
  • Braided brake hoses - front and rear
  • TrailTech Vapor Speedo (changed at 42,000 total mileage is 53,720 - working original is included)

http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Vapor.html
  • Cibie headlamp
  • Full crash bars
  • Rebuilt as standard Mikuni Carbs (new emulsion tubes, jets, needles, O rings, gaskets - these parts are not cheap!)
  • K&N reusable air filter
  • Recent crank position sensor (and working original as a spare)
  • Sprag Clutch modification
  • Regassed rear shock
  • Metal mule pannier racks
  • Shortened rear sub-frame with added mounting points for pannier frames
  • Gel seat pad
  • Additional luggage tie-down points
  • Renegade Carbonfibre silencers on genuine Renegade link pipes - recently repacked with silencing material
  • Full exhaust system wrapped with insulation.
  • LED rear light
  • 12v supply to left hand pannier
  • A non-working Scottoiler (I swapped out the working one to fit to another bike but rather than remove all the plumbing I fitted a dead one, if you can get a working vacuum-reservoir unit then it'll be an easy fitment).  I really recommend Scottoilers.
  • Recent chain and sprocket set (standard teeth) Has done about 5,500 miles.
  • Metzler Tourance front tyre(fair tread)
  • Michelin Anakee rear tyre (good tread)
  • Currently on SORN

Sitting in the sun in Bosnia

Approaching Istanbul

Bid on it here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181398710661?
Simon

Brighton
England

rf9rider

Interesting bike!

What would it take to get it back to standard trim, especially around the rear subframe?

sweller

A lot of parts - especially plastics.

It would also need the rear subframe welding back on.  I've still got the removed bit - but bear in mind it was removed with an angle grinder...  As were the front fairing brackets.
Simon

Brighton
England