News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ghost in the machine

Started by T_Phil, March 24, 2005, 12:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T_Phil

Just brought my new Tiger home.  One thing I can say for sure, the 2005 Tiger front fork ghost lives in my machine.  Since most people that have met the ghost say he's harmless, I'm not going to be bothered with it.  In fact I might even like him.  After all, what's an English piece of machinery without a ghost?

Put on 80 km's today and there's only one thing I can say: it's a hell of a bike.

Phil

Patrick the Scot

Could you define ghost?  Are referring to the thunking noise?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

T_Phil

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Could you define ghost?  Are referring to the thunking noise?

Thunking?  It's more of a clonk that you can hear when going over large bumps.  I've heard some people say they think it might come from somewhere inside the fairing, but I don't think so.  I'm not absolutely sure but I think it comes from the forks.

Brock

Sounds like a Poltergeist. Just stick some earplugs in and forget about it.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

T_Phil

Quote from: "Brock"Sounds like a Poltergeist. Just stick some earplugs in and forget about it.

I already did.  How English can it be, having a personal bike-ghost.  I think it just adds to the charm of the bike.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "T_Phil"
Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Could you define ghost?  Are referring to the thunking noise?

Thunking?  It's more of a clonk that you can hear when going over large bumps.  I've heard some people say they think it might come from somewhere inside the fairing, but I don't think so.  I'm not absolutely sure but I think it comes from the forks.

Yes, I guess you are right clonk would be a more acurate than thunk.....

My '05 has it and apparently so do they all.  It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the performance, however.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

tommy

I know this little (friendly?) ghost

it`s in my machine too  :twisted:

it doesn`t make anything to the funktion, but it`s not a nice noise

My dealer is not a godd ghostbuster and has no ideas to catch this ghost

T_Phil

Quote from: "tommy"I know this little (friendly?) ghost

it`s in my machine too  :twisted:

it doesn`t make anything to the funktion, but it`s not a nice noise

My dealer is not a godd ghostbuster and has no ideas to catch this ghost

I think Triumph should be the one to come up with the answers, they have the resources to find out what's going on with the 2005 Tigers.  Even if it's harmless I think they owe it to their customers to do a little research and put their minds at ease.

I think it's to hard and time consuming for a dealer to find the cause of the problem, if they can find it at all.

Are you listening, Triumph?

Kill Switch

Have you guys checked the torque on your engine mount bolts?  I started having the same type of thing after I put my engine guards on.  I didn't torque the bolts to spec.  Clunk.  It's a long shot but....

abell

No noises from my 2005 that I am aware of.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

tommy

I fitted Engine Guards to mine (Hepco&Becker)

But i had this ghost also before the Guard