News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil loss

Started by rex007can, May 29, 2014, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex007can

So...
Say a person, ltes say "a friend of mine"  :augie would omit to tighten the dipstick after an oil change.
Then, say that person rode the bike for about 500 miles over a few weeks, and then noticed the smudge on the engine case, revealing a loose dipstick.

How much oil would you evaluate "my friend" could have lost?
:icon_scratch:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mustang

you would'nt have lost hardly any at all.

just a tiny bit (like a capfull)of oil would have made a dripping sloppy mess....................

rex007can

:icon_rolleyes:

Well... that's not good news.
But thanks.

John Stenhouse

Some of these bikes do use oil, the stator seal is the cause some of the time but on some the engine just uses it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

rex007can

I read that.  But I've only had that bike for about 1000 miles.
I did a full oil/filter change about 500 miles ago.

Now...  I was a bit stupid and didnt really check the level on the dip stick right after the change,  while on the sidestand.
But I did put 4 liters of oil in it,  and yesterday,  the dipstick was pretty much dry.  I added 2 liters. I think it's a bit over filled now,  but we'll see.

No smoke, no smell,  no drips in the driveway.  I have to wonder if it lost that much in 500 miles,  where the heck did it go?

HockleyBoy

You might want to check the oil carefully while the bike is level or at least on the centrestand. Most wont take a full 4 litres after a change and if you have added 6 litres you could cause yourself some problems.

Whilst some burn a bit of oil, 2 liters in 500 miles would seem to be excessive to say the least.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

rex007can

I used the longer filter when I did the change (Have a full skid plate), so I'd figured the extra .2 liter wasn't going to hurt.

When I checked, the bike was as straight as I could, with the sidestand on a brick, and the stick was dry.
So I added a liter, ran the bike for 30 seconds, the very end of the stick was wet.
So... I added another liter. Now it's filled to the very top of the stick (not the thread top, the top of the markings).

The weirsd thing is, if I'd burnt 2 liters of oil... I could have smelled it and seen white smoke out of the exhaust. I've had old bikes and old cars... been there before. But this... no trace, no smell, no puff of smoke at red lights... nothing.

rf9rider

Best to check the oil when the engines cold.

Have you checked the water level lately?

Is the water a milky or brown colour?

Worst case scenario is oil getting into the cooling system.

rex007can

Coolant looks okay.  Hasnt increased so I dont think its where is goes.
But I do have maybe too much oil in the vacuum hose going out of the stator cover.
Does thatbgo straight out the exhaust?

What's that a symptom of?

Bixxer Bob

Oil in that hose points to the seal behind the stator leaking.  A small amount in the stator casing is normal.  The hose goes to the airbox.  You'll probably find the airbox is wet and you are burning the excess.  That said, the amount you are losing would make the exhaust look like a 2-stroke.

I've just changed my oil and filter,  3 1/5 litres to full,  measured on flat ground with the dipstick screwed in fully.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rex007can

I Know!
If I burned 2 quarts of oil,  I'd be causing accidents because of the cloud behind me!

That's why I wonder where it went.

rex007can

So I found an oil leak. Which would at least explain some of the oil loss.
Took  while to show itself, but now when I park it after riding, a few drops fall from the side stand spring.  Appear the spring,  stand and bracket are all wet with oil.  I can also see oil staining the pan around there.

Is it safe to assume its the pan gasket leaking,  or is there another component hidden under the stand bracket and switch?
Seems crouded under there.

NortonCharlie

there are a lot f places for the oil to be coming from.  You might try degreasing everything in that area and it might be easier to trace it down.  Are you sure it isn't the oil filter?  With the amount of loss your are seeing it seems it might be a leak under pressure.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

exchead

i had a stone hit my oil filter and put a tiny hole no bigger than a pin head on the side at bottom,double check filter as i missed the hole first time i was checking why i had an oil slick on my drive

rex007can

Cant see anyoil on the filter itself, but the side stand is pretty filthy.