News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil loss

Started by rex007can, May 29, 2014, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteH

Quote from: NortonCharlie on June 07, 2014, 09:55:19 PM
there are a lot f places for the oil to be coming from.  You might try degreasing everything in that area and it might be easier to trace it down.

Ditto that...take all guards and covers off... clean up and  the problem should identify itself, just be aware that the sprocket cover has a habit of collecting chain lube then dribbling when the engines hot...
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

Not when you use Wurth dry lube it hasn't  :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 08, 2014, 09:37:54 AM

"Chain looks a bit dry" says he.
"I'll turn the Scottoiler up a notch or two" says I.
"I've got just the thing for you" says he.
:icon_scratch:
Skooooooosh "and you can take all these with you" says he filling my pannier with several cans of Shell Chain Lube.
"But I've got a Scottoiler" says I  :icon_rolleyes:
"Never mind, it'll come in handy" says he, and it has but now I know he had a secret stash of Wurth  :pimp
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 08, 2014, 10:19:44 AM
Quote from: Chris Canning on June 08, 2014, 09:37:54 AM

"Chain looks a bit dry" says he.
"I'll turn the Scottoiler up a notch or two" says I.
"I've got just the thing for you" says he.
:icon_scratch:
Skooooooosh "and you can take all these with you" says he filling my pannier with several cans of Shell Chain Lube.
"But I've got a Scottoiler" says I  :icon_rolleyes:
"Never mind, it'll come in handy" says he, and it has but now I know he had a secret stash of Wurth  :pimp

The difference being I don't pay for the Shell chain lube I do pay for the Wurth dry lube well kind of  :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

If it's wet around the sidestand the gear selector shaft seal is the usual culprit followed by the gearbox output shaft seal behind the sprocket.

Take the advise; clean the whole area thoroughly with some white spirit, dry it off then keep an eye on it, it'll show.  If you think there's mileage in the filter suggestion, clean all round that too.  The amount you're using, it won't take long.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Before you start cleaning the crud off, take a good look for a clean area, if you are losing that much the cleanest bit wil be at least near where it's coming from.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rex007can

Definitely looks like it's seeping between the pan and engine, right behind the sidestand. My thought is, I'm losing some and burning some, which makes it seem worse. Plus it's following the side stand and dripping off the spring instead of falling off the bottom of the oil pan into my skidplate.

I see a stain on the other side too, but no drips. I'll start by replacing the gasket at my next oil change and see where it goes next.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.