News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Management light

Started by Lord Sut, June 01, 2014, 03:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Sut

After putting new plugs in my 05 Tiger I found that I had a spare connector and nothing for it to plug into. I put it back together again and now find that I have the engine management light on.
What have I done?

Since I don't think the pic is uploading I'll explain that there are 2 wires going into the connector. A brown one and a red/yellow one

budvar

Looks like the air pressure or temperature sensor (can't remember which  :icon_rolleyes:) that plugs into the side of the air box under the tank.
2001, roulette green (replete with bubbling stripes on the tank,grrrrrr). All stock.

Lord Sut

Nope, I've got one in there. :icon_frown: I've just had the tank and air box off again to have another look and now it won't start. :icon_scratch:
I've now given up for the day and will have to have another go in a couple of days when I'm back home again.

Bixxer Bob

No, it isn't, it's for the California-only EVAP emissions system, ignore it.

Engine light is on because you had the tank off so there is a fault code relating to the fuel sender which you disconnected.  It will extinguish after three warm up / cool down cycles if you put everything back correctly.  If not you'll need to use the "how to" sticky to learn how to download TUNEECU freeware, buy a USB cable and read / reset it.

While I'm here let me first say welcome and, don't take this the wrong way, there's a lot of info in here that's been built up by years of hard work by long-time Tiger owners :blah.  Before you get the spanners out take a few minutes to learn to use the "search' facility :icon_study:. It's not very user friendly but it does work.  It's highly unlikely you will ask anything that one of us hasn't answered a dozen times before (including the reason for this post). :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Lord Sut

Thanks for the info, i'm relieved to know that I'm not missing a connector and that the management light is normal but, it didn't do that last time I changed the plugs? I'm busy today and working all tomorrow so I'll have another crack at it on Thursday.

Bixxer Bob

It depends on what order you disconnect or hook everything up.  If the battery is the first thing you disconnect and the last thing you hook up, you shouldn't get any fault codes.  With the ign off.  Obviously.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

I've got an interesting one. I switched the idiot lights to led, and now the check engine light glows faintly. You can only see it at night. It's on full when you first turn in the ignition, but I'm thinking that there's a little bleed due to the sensitivity of the leds. Any ideas?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Marc

Quote from: cba191 on June 04, 2014, 01:10:07 PM
I switched the idiot lights to led, and now the check engine light glows faintly. You can only see it at night.

Did the same, but I don't see anything glowing in a pitch-dark garage.
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Marc on June 05, 2014, 08:25:36 AM
I don't see anything glowing in a pitch-dark garage.

Not even some of the, weird but very enjoyable, Belgian beer that you guys make  :new_all_coholic
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Marc

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

tntmo

I had the same thing with the LED's, the engine light and the fuel light had a very faint glow but it wasn't noticeable during daylight hours.  I switched them back out for standard bulbs. 

Bixxer Bob

It's only a stab in the dark (groan....)  but it sounds like an iffy earth (some call it ground) connection problem.  If there's a resistance on the light cluster earth connection, such as a dirty contact, voltage could find it's way through the LED.  A bit like the old days hen you put on an indicator on your old Ford and the brake light would flash in sympathy.....  :icon_scratch: