News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bike died - help

Started by nikonvt, June 22, 2014, 02:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikonvt

So I was running late for a Dr apt so I figured I would get gas after.  I knew the tank was low but the Dr is a mile from gas. No biggie as I was at 159 miles on the tank. After apt, no start. Ran totally fine whole way there. Even shut it off then restarted to move the bike. Thought I was outta gas - nope. Trailored it home.

Battery is good.
Makes the winding sound when turn key on - that's the fuel pump right?
When I push start it just goes wa-wa-wa-wa but won't fire.
High 22 xxxviii miles.
Fuel pump replaced last fall.
Checked fuel filter and pump assembly - looks ok. Blew out filter.
Pulled plugs - don't look too bad but will replace.

Other than fuel filter - where else could debris be stuck from drawing low on the tank?

Thanks.
01 955i

pineygroveshop

Are you certain there is fuel in the tank? 
Cheers,
Stephen

John Stenhouse

Remember the old adage, most fuel problems aren't. Check the electrics first, is it getting a spark?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nikonvt

Yes there is fuel.
I don't know how to check for spark without replacing the plugs.  I pulled the plugs but the parts stores around here were closed when I went to buy new ones. How do I check for spark otherwise?
01 955i

Sin_Tiger

First off I'm not a Girly expert, they're busy at the moment but lets try some more general stuff to try to narrow it down.

If you have a spare plug, any old plug you have lying around will do, stick it in the HT lead and hold it against the block or otherwise create a circuit to the block. With your battery good as it appears to be it won't be a problem leaving the plugs in the cylinders. You should see a spark, doesn't matter about the quality just to confirm the ECU is functioning, if not it's definitely electrical.

Assuming now you've confirmed it's electrical. Did you use the kill switch to stop it, that's a possibility if you did. Did you turn the bars hard to the left or right when you stopped, if yes then the wiring at the keyswitch is another prime suspect. Do a search as most of these issues have been covered already by those more knowledgeable on the Girly than me.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nikonvt

I don't use the kill switch so that shouldn't be the issue. The bars aren't hard to the sides either.

If I understand correctly,  pull the top part that the stem of the plug goes into, put the plug into that and then attempt to start the bike with that plug against the block to check for spark?  I'm assuming the HT lead is that part that plugs into the stem? I've torn so many engines apart but electrical has never been my strong point.
01 955i

Sin_Tiger

Yup, you got it. I include the cap as part of the HT lead, just push it onto your spare plug, wear a glove, I don't want you cursing me if you get a belt from it  :bug_eye
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nikonvt

Pulled out 2 of the plugs (can't get 3rd because my ratchet arm is too long) and leaned both pulled ones against the frame. Right hand really weak spark, second was ok. So that's a good sign. Headed out to get 3 plugs and a shorter ratchet arm extension.  Other thoughts?
I appreciate it
01 955i

nikonvt

Ok. So she's running now and I got a full tank in her.  However, the water pump dash light is on. I replaced the radiator cap in this process. Is there a time period for everything to cycle back to normal or is this another problem?

Edit: shit. It's the engine management malfunction indicator and the manual says to not ride it and it will allow you to "limp home". All connections appear to be in order....
01 955i

Sin_Tiger

Like I said, not the expert on this model but have a read at this, might help 12 minute Tune and Girly How To's

Looks like you and me are the only sad gits not out riding in the good weather, sooner we get you mobile the better then, I have a note from my Boss saying I have to earn petrol money  :icon_rolleyes:

nikonvt

Lol. Yup everyone else is out having fun. Wankers. Doing the cold hot cold 3x thing a try.  On #2....
01 955i

PeteH

Just make sure the fan cuts in then kill the engine and let it realy cool down....oh, and dont touch owt when its running up...ask me how I know  :icon_redface:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

nikonvt

Lol. Did the 3x cold got cold and the light did go out. Gonna ride it to work in the morning so that'll be the shakedown to see if it truly is all good. Thanks for the replies folks.
01 955i

Sin_Tiger

Glad to read you got a result. Hope the weather stays good and it gets you there and back without any drama  :thumbsup

nikonvt

Thanks Sin. Ride to work went fine, other than the temp and my heated gloves were just sent back to gerbings for repair...Got feeling back 2 hrs into my shift....but still way better than being in the truck.
01 955i