News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

19/46

Started by nickjtc, July 02, 2014, 06:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Anyone ever tried this drastic a change from the stock 18/48 gearing?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

19 seems a bit high... Mine had 17/42 when I got it... thought it would burn out the clutch on take off, then would look down to see 90 mph without realising  :icon_eek: Changed it back to standard and its much better, it seems a lot of people like 19/48, I spose it depends how much time you spend at high speeds tho'

rybes

hmm. wonder if that might be an idea for me too do next week. im back off to england to get me tiger runnin so i can bring it over here. got a 800 mile ride ahead of me and most of its through europe
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

nickjtc

So, along with the other moderate changes I have decided to make to Stanley I went ahead and did the 19/46 sprocket + chain change. This is bearing in mind that all of my riding is highway (preferably twisty) with no attempt made to ride slow nadgery non-paved stuff. And I seldom explore anything above about 5000rpm anyway. Yes, I am a boring ghof.

I've put 160km under the wheels and initial impressions are: obviously the revs are lower. It is making for what seems to be a less frenetic sounding engine. Perceptually the bike is 'smoother' now. I had concerns about having to slip the clutch a bit more from a standstill, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. It remains to be seen what difference it will make to mpgs.

I'm happy, and I suppose that is all that matters.... :icon_scratch:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"