News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new bike is here

Started by ynotbiker, July 12, 2014, 11:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynotbiker

well new bike arrived yesterday and what a beauty  :icon_lol: cant upload pictures but go to the wanted section and its the autotrader ad red bike. Anyway the history of the bike is , first owner bought it 1993,rode it till 1996 and put 5000 miles on it then stored it till 2011.Must have been a collector as he had 15 bikes stored  :bug_eye In 2011 he sold it to a friend who used it for about 1000 miles and found it to big as he had short legs.He then passed it on to a dealer who then sold it to the man I bought it off,who in 2 years only did 900 miles. So since about 1997 its only covered about 2000 miles in total. MOTs read like this 2011-5072     2012-5891   2013-6273  2014-6711  and now reading 6976. Last owner said when he bought it it wasn't running right so he cleaned the carbs and it ran better for a while then ran rough again. I think it was because it had been standing and needed a good blast. Anyway he took it to a dealers and paid £320 to have the carbs cleaned again, new air box and fuel screen fitted. When he sold it to me he said it runs a bit lumpy at low revs. When it arrived yesterday I started it and it ran ok for a while then cut out. I would love to give it a blast with some profi fuel but with only use of one arm at the minute its quite difficult. What do you fellas in the know think I should do knowing its history should I bite the bullet and pay for a big service and get the valves checked etc. Would love to do this myself but im not mechanically minded,sad I know. Would the valves be ok with only 7000 miles on the clock? Im thinking the internals may be a bit sticky with not getting much use. Fella says it runs all day at 180 on reserve position but cuts out on the on position.covered this in other post Think Its   tank filters. Help much appreciated

rf9rider

If you`ve got the cash to spare, i would have it fully serviced, get them to go through everything, if it`s been stood a while, i`d be changing all the fluids, clutch, brake and engine oil, new filter of course.
I`m not a fan of the Profi fuel cleaner, it didn`t do much for mine, i think that Seafoam works better (available on Ebay)

threepot

I agree with rf9r. But if finances are tight,just sort fuel tap,and try that Seafoam,and at least change engine oil. If its been standing,chances are carbs could be gummed up? If bike starts ok,leave valves for a 'winter' project. Enjoy it now :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ram33

with only 7k miles i cant imagine the valves would want doing so i would save your money there.
as rf9rider says - all fluids
also check tyres as age can make these go brittle.
if you haven't already, i would remove the tank and swill it round with petrol to wash out and debris and clean (or remove) tap filters. then strip/ clean carbs which would hopefully fix the problem.
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

ynotbiker

Quote from: ram33 on July 12, 2014, 12:34:12 PM
with only 7k miles i cant imagine the valves would want doing so i would save your money there.
as rf9rider says - all fluids
also check tyres as age can make these go brittle.
if you haven't already, i would remove the tank and swill it round with petrol to wash out and debris and clean (or remove) tap filters. then strip/ clean carbs which would hopefully fix the problem.
yes defo tyres looks like from 1997 was going to fit anakee 3s but most tyres these days will do the job  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

:iagree all fluids including giving the brakes a good duffing up, with new pads of course. I don't think your money would be well spent on getting a workshop to do the valves. New O rings in the carbs would be worthwhile. Flush the forks and change the oil for 15W oil and don't fidget the coolant system.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ynotbiker

thanks all much appreciated will do all fluids carbs where sorted cost him £320.am fitting my hagon shock of old bike and putting stiffer springs up front the hopefully jobs a goodin.

rf9rider

Don`t forget to check the chain rub block and the chain wear strip.

nickjtc

Enjoy the bike!! It needs more miles under the wheels.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"