News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

locking gas cap

Started by motoOzarks, July 16, 2014, 03:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoOzarks

Hey all
My locking gas cap is not letting me in.
Last fill up I almost give up before I got it open.  Now I need gas again and I can't get it to unlock.
Any body have this happen?
Is it the lock that's jammed?  Or the moving parts of the cap?
I've lubed and quit before I break the key.
I guess I'm going to take the whole thing off via removing the screws.

What's the deal?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

rf9rider

Bixer Bobs the man for locks.

Don`t think you can remove the cap unless its open,as there is a screw underneath it, bit of an anti theft thing.

Mustang

:iagree needs to be open to remove

motoOzarks

Just checking = you're saying if I take out the circle of bolts the whole gas cap and ring thing will still not separate from the tank?

I'll google and see if I can find a parts sketch.

I'm assuming a call to a locksmith would be preferable to screwdriver/hammer combo.

What would you do if on a trip?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS

rf9rider

Yup, theres a bolt under the flap you can`t get at unless its open.

In an emergency i`d just hammer a screwdriver in the keyhole and force it open, then ride home with a rag stuffed in the hole or gaffer tape the flap closed.

I`ve fitted a keyless cap on my Steamer, just unscrews, probably no use to you at the moment  but they are available in case you think thats the way to go?

rf9rider

Have a look here, scroll down to the 3rd  picture, you`ll see a crosshead screw to the left near the ring,thats the screw that you can`t get at until the flap is open.
Hope that makes sense to you!  :icon_lol:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13231.0.html

motoOzarks

It's done.
Called a locksmith to come and try to open.  I was afraid I might not have enough fuel to make it to them.
Corrosion on the tumblers.  He couldn't pick it.  Forced it open with a screwdriver and then cleaned the lock up and it works fine.  He suggested I bring it in to their shop so they could get the tumblers out and really clean it but for now it works good.
I left the "hidden screw" out.  Just in case.  At least I can remove the whole shebang to fuel and not end up stranded over it.

Sin_Tiger

:icon_eek: ouch but probably cheaper than a tow truck.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint