News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Analogue to Digital

Started by nickjtc, July 19, 2014, 05:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

On my trip to Yukon and Alaska the speedo drive seized up. So it was time to decide whether to replace it or bring Stanley in to the 21st century and go digital. Long story short I decided to buck up and get a Vapor digital dash, which I had experience with having installed one on a previous bike.

It wasn't particularly onerous, especially since the Triumph idiot light bulbs push straight in to the Vapor idiot light 'dashboard'. I did not carry over the low fuel warning light since the sender in the tank does not work, so ended up slaving the two turn signal lights into one and using the high beam, neutral and oil pressure lights.

The new dash is a piece of alloy I had lying around, covered with faux carbon fibre sheet to make it look half-arsed decent. That's a led charging system warning light at the top right.

I ditched the Triumph clock since there is one in the Vapor and put the coolant temperature gauge where the clock was. Yes, you can get a temperature sensor integrated into the Vapor but I wanted to fill the hole in the fairing panel....

It looks a bit empty in there now, but what the hey!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Nice job. Looks a lonely though,  you didn't have an old 8 track you could have squeezed I there just to keep it period  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 19, 2014, 10:54:39 AM
you didn't have an old 8 track you could have squeezed I there just to keep it period  :icon_scratch:
Wots an 8 track then? some kind of navigation system I wonder :augie

Sin_Tiger

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape I still have a car 8 track that I fitted to my dad's Woolsley 6 land crab when I was a teenager. Great bits of kit in their day.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

That's great. Room for a sat nav?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

And Sin you're showing your age with Wolseleys and 8 tracks!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on July 19, 2014, 02:52:36 PM
That's great. Room for a sat nav?

I suppose there would be with a bit of relocation of the Vapor. I hang my Garmin off the handlebars in the mount you can see in the second pic.

nickjtc

PS. The extra 'bonus' with the Vapor is that it can be re-programmed to show the actual mileage (or kilometrage in this case) that the bike has done, so you do not have to start at '0' again.

Mustang

let me know how many wire leads for the speed sender you have to replace in the next couple years .

let me know how good it works after it has been wet from rain(although you may be ok because of tiggers fairing )

ask me why I ask such q's

btdt on honda I had

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on July 19, 2014, 06:49:23 PM
let me know how many wire leads for the speed sender you have to replace in the next couple years .

let me know how good it works after it has been wet from rain(although you may be ok because of tiggers fairing )

Noted. I am optimistic since I had one on a Yam XT500 with no issues over the time it was in use.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickcalne on July 19, 2014, 02:55:12 PM
And Sin you're showing your age with Wolseleys and 8 tracks!

Feeling my age after a 650 mile day on a Thruxton  :pottytrain2

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 19, 2014, 07:33:42 PM
Feeling my age after a 650 mile day on a Thruxton  :pottytrain2

You're only as old as the woman you feel........  :ImaPoser

nickjtc

So along with the other stuff I've done since I got back from the Yukon/Alaska trip I've finally had a chance to take Stanley out for a calibration ride. The beauty of going digital is that you can set the speedo up to be 100% accurate, with the added bonus with a Vapor unit that the odometer is 100% accurate too. The 'cheapo' 'no name' (aka Chinese knock-off) unit I put on the XR650L gives you the choice of being 100% accurate with the speedo, but then 10% off with the odo, or vice versa. The Vapor is accurate for both.

nickjtc

After the brouhaha with the turn signals all flashing together because I wired both circuits into a single idiot light in the Vapor dash I decided to get a separate high beam light and separate the left and right signal idiot lights.

HeavyHustler

132,252 miles?!  Km's?!  ;)  Or is that 13,225.2 km's?

I will have to say the original gauges pay homage to a fighter cockpit style and the new vapor digital seems more gamer-ish.