News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Carb Synch.

Started by TR5TRIDER, July 25, 2014, 06:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

I use mercury type Carb Stick to verify carburetor sync. / out of synch. Therefore I have no way to know or calibrate Carb Stick in inches of mercury. Where to measure from? Top of mercury pool? Bottom? 
I also have an old engine vacuum gauge. My thought is to set the master carb to the specified 5 to 6 inches of mercury called for in Triumph shop manual using the gauge connected to the master carb; then stopping the engine and replacing the gauge w/Carb Stick and bringing the #1 and #2 carbs to the same level as the master carb. Opinions and advise would be appreciated.

TR5TRider

Mustang

don't even bother with the old gauge as you can't really set the master(#2) carb to give what the manual says for vacuum as there is no adjustment other than the master idle knob and possibly playing with mixture screw settings . the master is what it is . it will be damn close to manual specs though unless you have something seriously out of whack, like blown head gasket or valves that have zero clearance

but you are correct in assuming you can just set #1 and #3 to match what #2 is and then with the master idle control knob set your idle where you want , hint 1200 rpm works very very well .

and BTW #2 is the master carb. only #1 and #3 have an adjuster to set synch

TR5TRIDER

ssevy

I took Mustang's advice and set my idle up to 1200 and it eliminated the initial hiccup when taking off from a dead stop. While the idle sounds fast to my ear (my Legend idles at 900 and that is what I am used to), I like the smoother take off.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

El Pescador

Quote from: Mustang on July 25, 2014, 06:48:35 PM

but you are correct in assuming you can just set #1 and #3 to match what #2 is and then with the master idle control knob set your idle where you want , hint 1200 rpm works very very well .

and BTW #2 is the master carb. only #1 and #3 have an adjuster to set synch

Thanks for answering my question before I had a chance to ask it.

Mustang

Quote from: El Pescador on July 31, 2014, 05:18:07 PM

Thanks for answering my question before I had a chance to ask it.

:ImaPoser