News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does it ever end?

Started by ssevy, July 27, 2014, 01:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Okay, at a bit of a standstill.
1- I put the ignition pick up sensor from the Legend that I had installed in the Tiger back in the Legend and took it for a spin. It ran just fine, no issues at all. Crossed pick up sensor off the list.
2- I pulled the igniter box out of the Tiger and opened it up. No sign of anything inside; looked brand new. I put it back together and hooked it up to the Legend. Would not start. Checked the wiring diagram (which I should have done first), and noticed that the terminal order is completely different, and so swapping it into the Legend was no test of anything.
3- Re-connected to the Tiger, and she started right up with no issues.

Here is where I am confused:  I can understand where heat could affect a pick up sensor, as it is located in a pretty miserable area which gets some very hot oil splashed around.

The igniter, on the other hand, must get warm because of the transistors inside? In other words, there is some heat source which would be causing an igniter to fail? Looking at the wiring diagram, I cannot see any other component which would be heat sensitive and is connected to the igniter.

Can someone test an electrical board like this just by identifying the components inside and then testing, or would they need a schematic?

My last thought is to swap back in the original coils and plug wires just to see if something random is happening there. I was also thinking a float bowl with a sticking needle jet might be filling very slowly, which would let me run a distance down the road, run dry and drop a cylinder. Waiting by the road would let it seep back full, and then when I took off it would happen again. This would seem to be a heat related problem, but would be a time related problem. Why this would happen now, about 1000 miles after the carb rebuild, is a mystery.

I hate to buy a new igniter only to discover it is not an issue, although it might be nice to have on a trip into the boonies I suppose.
Since no response regarding Ignitech, I guess factory is the only option? Bike Bandit says about $350 for one.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

Bring it. We can throw parts at it . I have at least 1of everything that is on a tiger .
In the meantime replace the main 30 amp fuse. Even if it looks ok.
Seen this one before on a third sport............

ssevy

Unconditional love?

Okay, I just stumbled through the door pretty well knackered, as I had to push the bike 1/2 mile back home after it quit once again. Quite disappointing to say the least.

After having some success with a remote fuel bottle, I thought I had narrowed it down to the tank and petcock. Removing the petcock revealed a ring of snot like material around the base of the petcock, which must have been gasket cement that squeezed out when the shop mounted the petcock. My thoughts were it took some time to break down, and thus would explain why it ran fine for a few days after the job was done.

So, cleaned up the stuff, pulled the screen off the petcock and thoroughly cleaned it, blew everything out with air, and then took the gas cap apart to be sure the vent was working. Got that working and then cleaned the overflow tube which was plugged, and put it back on the bike. Started right up, ran well for a bit, and then about a half mile down the road, began to stumble and quit. I immediately put the choke on full and was able to start it and turn around to begin to head back home. It went about 50 feet, and then stalled for good. I walked it all the way home, stopping every 10 minutes or so to listen to my pulse pounding in my eardrums and to try to start it. Cranks fine but no firing at all, even one or two. As soon as I got it in the garage, I immediately opened the bowl drain on carb #1 to see if it was dry. Fuel came out, so there was fuel in at least one bowl.

I guess the next step is to use an induction timing light on the plug wires to see if any coils are dropping out. It probably would not hurt to take the carbs out and see if any of the snotty stuff got inside. Since it ran pretty well with the remote fuel bottle, I can't imagine there is an issue there, but may as well cover all the basics.

Mustang and I spoke for quite a spell today, and the fact that it doesn't quit all at once would seem to indicate fuel starvation. That seemed to be supported by the bike running pretty well on the fuel bottle, although that may be an outlier. Interesting project applying logic to this problem, and I do enjoy diagnosing things, but this one is a real tough nut to crack for sure. I just keep chanting, "fuel, spark and air...fuel, spark and air" :icon_scratch:

Mustang

pull the carbs , bet they are full of snot
also flush the  tank out good
and call me in afternoon tomorrow................................

ssevy

Will do.

Our buddy Randy from Ohio is coming for the week. We were supposed to meet him in southeastern PA two nights ago, but as you all know, my Tiger felt like staying home instead. Since Randy hasn't been to the northeast, we suggested he come here and we'd show him the sights. I'm going to meet him tomorrow morning with my Legend, and so I may be off schedule for a bit getting to the Tiger. He'll need a day off, so we'll all be doing some Tiger time in the next few days.

Sin_Tiger

:notworthy I admire your persistence, it'll all be worth it when you get it sorted.

This is the main reason I went with the small clear in line transparent filter and ditched the petcock and in hose originals, at least with that I can see what's going on or rule fuel starvation out of my paranoid musings.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Success!

Cue the orchestra and the chorus..."Hallelujah...Hallelujah..."

A picture is worth a thousand words, so check out this one:

and this one:

and finally, this one:

Ran great on my test ride, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is no other material in or about the tank which might breakdown and plug anything else. I gave it a good flushing with fresh gasoline, and the petcock is clean as a whistle. Only time and miles will tell. Tomorrow we'll be putting on a few hundred, so I will know soon enough.

Mustang

ynotbiker

well done peace of mind at last enjoy. :wheel :wheel

Sin_Tiger

Result, simplest things  :icon_wink: you are going to fit an inline external filter?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Occams Razor strikes again. Good for you...
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Nice 150 mile ride today. No issues; ran like a top.
The three of us were riding my 95 Tiger, Dave's 2000 Legend, and Randy's 98 Sprint Executive. Three pretty rare bikes, all in great condition (except Dave has a sticky float needle so we tore his bike down tonight).
Here's my Tiger and Randy's Sprint:

This Tiger rides a lot nicer than it pushes! :icon_eek:

nickjtc

Quote from: ssevy on August 01, 2014, 04:44:50 AM
This Tiger rides a lot nicer than it pushes! :icon_eek:

But if it needs a push now and again forgive it that....... it is the correct colour!!  :thumbsup Glad to see that mine is not the only one with a black lower engine protector frame.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Powdercoated the skid plate and Mustang's oversize footpegs. My feet are much better on long days with no sore arches.
My Tiger is at the mercy of me, its owner, so I really can't blame it for going tits up once in a while.

Sin_Tiger

Enjoy the fruits of your labour  :wheel