News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Crashbars

Started by sailorcolin, August 13, 2014, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorcolin

I did a bunch of searching and didn't really find what I needed. What crashbars will fit a 00 Girly? There are several for sale in the marketplace and I was just wanting to know if the steamer crashbars or the 955 bars will fit. Looking at Thunderbike style of bars in particular.

Mustang

no the thunderbikes are very engine specific as thats what they mount to . steamer , 885I and 955I's all have 3 different shape engines .
I left you a link to buy brand new thunder bike bars
pricey? yes
do they work ? fantastically , they can save your bacon as well as the paint .

http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/shopn/spi/156899158/tbike_3_TIG

sailorcolin

Thanks! Sorry to ask a noob question, I am just picking up a Girly on Saturday and that's one of the first things I want to put on it.

daveb

I fitted these http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tiger-955i-2001-06-crash-bars-not-885i-815-p.asp
Easy to fit but the plastic coating is coming off.

But I guess the plastic coating will come off most crash bars when used all year in all types of weather.

Thinking of getting them powder coated.

Chris Canning

If you had a 955 then it would be TouraTech because they actually design them to work when you fall off sadly the 855 isn't on the list,best advice when buying do you think they'l work when you fall off because most of us have at some time  :icon_redface:

sailorcolin

I think i may build a pair that copy the Thunderbike design: http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/spi/tbike_TIG I know they are worth the money but it alot of money to me and i can fab weld up some for much less than $500. Or if anyone knows of another place to get cheaper bars from?

Mustang

If you can fab well thats a big plus bikes like yours and mine and even up to the 06's . there just isn't a lot of after market available any more .
For that matter the early tigers never really had much aftermarket support at all .

sailorcolin

Quote from: Mustang on August 14, 2014, 08:59:14 PM
If you can fab well thats a big plus bikes like yours and mine and even up to the 06's . there just isn't a lot of after market available any more .
For that matter the early tigers never really had much aftermarket support at all .

Ya, Im getting the bike on Saturday and I will post pics of it and start the fab of the crashbars, and post those pics as well.

Sin_Tiger

Good man :thumbsup bound to help someone in the future.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Since you're into fabricating, have a look at the Touratech bars for Girlies before you decide on a design.  They are curved so that there are no bits sticking out to dig in when you go down.  That way the bike slides on them without flipping.  Chris did a thread a while back after his saved him and his bike from major damage.  Mine saved my bike totally the first time it went down, but the second time a kerb got in the way so some damage was done.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

sailorcolin

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 15, 2014, 09:35:08 AM
Since you're into fabricating, have a look at the Touratech bars for Girlies before you decide on a design.  They are curved so that there are no bits sticking out to dig in when you go down.  That way the bike slides on them without flipping.  Chris did a thread a while back after his saved him and his bike from major damage.  Mine saved my bike totally the first time it went down, but the second time a kerb got in the way so some damage was done.

Ya that is the design I was going to go after.

sailorcolin

Anyone have these http://www.accessoryinternational.com/product/hepco-becker-crashbar-kawasaki-tiger-900.html crashbars? They say they will fit my 00 885i but they are pictures with a 955? My concern is fitment around the oil cooler.

John Stenhouse

I have those on my 885i, they look the same and the blurb is correct.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

sailorcolin

Quote from: John Stenhouse on August 20, 2014, 12:16:41 AM
I have those on my 885i, they look the same and the blurb is correct.

Would you recommend them? Also can you pose some photos?

John Stenhouse

Well it saved mine on a couple of occasions, I wouldn't hold your breath for photos I'm useless, but I'll have quick shuftie and see if there are any ready done.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting