News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new owner in need of help

Started by dvdrnld91, September 22, 2014, 04:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvdrnld91

so i just traded my car (miata with 400k mi) for a 96 steamer the test drive went great the bike was responsive everything seemed to work great till i let it sit overnight
the next morning i go out to start the bike and it just turns everybody comes out of the house to help we tear the plastics off to get a better look test spark, spray ether(dont judge me) nothing worked we tried the choke in all positions but still nothing
eventually we burned up the starter or something
im so pissed i want to scrap the bike (dont get too excited its not really gonna happen) :Topes
any help would be much appriciated

also if anybody is parting one out please let me know
1996 steamer project
1971 kawasaki g3

parts needed: complete airbox, wiring harness, carb kit (mik),  please PM me

dvdrnld91

so i just traded my car (miata with 400k mi) for a 96 steamer the test drive went great the bike was responsive everything seemed to work great till i let it sit overnight
the next morning i go out to start the bike and it just turns everybody comes out of the house to help we tear the plastics off to get a better look test spark, spray ether(dont judge me) nothing worked we tried the choke in all positions but still nothing
eventually we burned up the starter or something
im so pissed i want to scrap the bike (dont get too excited its not really gonna happen) :Topes
any help would be much appriciated

also if anybody is parting one out please let me know
1996 steamer project
1971 kawasaki g3

Nick Calne

So the engine turns, or did... is the starter motor still working?

So battery's good, sparks good

Fuel getting there? Fuel tap open?

Sprag?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

rf9rider

Welcome to the forum.

As above, if it still turns over ok and you haven`t damaged the sprag, first things i`d be checking are the sidestand switch and the clutch switch.

threepot

As above. If it was running OK day before,unlikely to be fuel? There should be enough in carbs to fire up? As Nick says,is the starter OK? Not going to be able to do much without that.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

dvdrnld91

the starter was working for about thirty minutes of abuse then it stopped the battery was hooked up to some sort of tender

i think the starter problem is electrical as i cannot hear the sol.

the old owner said the bike was a hard start but i figured if anyone can start it i can (wrong)

when tank was removed i found that the right side choke was stuck and it was unhooked to allow the other 2 chokes to work

the neutral light was on and the past owner did away with the kick stand switch

i diddnt think to check the clutch switch what are the chances of that?
1996 steamer project
1971 kawasaki g3

dvdrnld91

where would the appropriate place be to past a list of the parts i need to return this bike to stock
1996 steamer project
1971 kawasaki g3

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

it won't crank if clutch switch is bad
pull the clutch , even if in neutral

hard starting is tight intake valves almost every time  !

check your valve clearances  http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3d3mtbfrjv31b1ec00gfs9bhk6;topic=5386.msg34259#msg34259

sounds like the bike hasn't had very good maint. done over the years

hope you didn't bugger your sprag clutch for the starter , you'll get to be quite intimate with her if you did !

threepot

Quote from: dvdrnld91 on September 22, 2014, 05:28:12 PM
where would the appropriate place be to past a list of the parts i need to return this bike to stock
Just ask for info what you need on here. EBay for used parts. 'NEW' Genuine Triumph....Costa Lotta $$££€€ !!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Yeah. Write a list of parts and the great and the good of this website will oblige you with offers. Almost everybody has at least 1/2 a spare steamer in the shed it seems.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

dvdrnld91

ok so the bike is three hours away by interstate at my parents house but when i get there i will have to trailor it home

is there an inline fuse on the starting system i looked online at something that gave me that impression all fuses check out in the block
1996 steamer project
1971 kawasaki g3

dvdrnld91

how many safety switches are in place that could prohibit the starter from working? :icon_scratch:

if the neutral light works does that mean the N safety switch works? if not how can i test it?

the side stand switch is a mess and will be replaced but what wires need to be twisted together to bypass for now (all 3?)?
1996 steamer project
1971 kawasaki g3

Mustang

nickjtc

Quote from: dvdrnld91 on October 03, 2014, 02:18:55 AM
the side stand switch is a mess and will be replaced but what wires need to be twisted together to bypass for now (all 3?)?

Looking at Mustang's wiring diagram the side stand switch is number 50. It has a green, blue and brown wire going in to it. It shows the blue and brown together in the diagram but I do not know whether that means 'power on' or 'power off' to the igniter circuit. So try twisting the blue and brown together first and if the engine starts with the stand down you're good to go. Failing that try the blue and green...... I think :icon_scratch:

The neutral light switch (number 38) is connected to both the neutral light and the igniter (number 29) so if the light is coming on you should be good to go..... I think :icon_scratch:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"