News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering the steamer

Started by Surfnsound, September 25, 2014, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfnsound

Hi there, really not sure whether I should or not lower the Tiger 1998 with a lowering kit. I have just bought it and yes, I sit high, only my foot tips touch the ground and I am 1.80 m. I love everything at this bike but the insecurity it gives me not being able to touch the ground flat.

I ride often in Brussels traffic stop and go - would feel better being able to have the full foot on the ground :)

Now:

1) My shop would use the lowering kit 20 mm from Lust.  Any experience with that?

2) I worry about the looks: Anybody could post pictures of a lowered T400?

David
Brussels, Belgium

Sin_Tiger

Hi David and welcome  :occasion14

Before you spend any money, try the reversible way.

Swing the chain adjuster excentrics 180 degrees and slide the forks up in the clamps 20mm, just ensure your chain guard doesn't touch.  Do a few searches as there's plenty already discussed on this subject

I wouldn't worry about the looks, I don't think you'll notice and it'll still look :icon_cool: I'm about your size so I know what you mean, you do get a bit more confident with use but never entirely relaxed  :augie

There are a few other guys in your area who I'm sure will be along shortly.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Surfnsound

Hi there Sin_tiger - "Merci" for the welcome. Yes indeed, if the looks don't change and security increases, that would be exactly what I need. Well, I think I might just get used to it without changing the height, but reading some of the comments here... I'd prefer not to lay her on the ground on red.... :)

The shop does the lowering free of charge during purchase, but I have to pay for the set (+/- 50 pounds). So i though I could as well use the set instead of the excenter solution.

If anybody has used the Lust set or pics, please post  :thumbsup

fishnbiker

Just a "heads-up" on lowering ... if the front is done without doing the rear, you will notice sharper turning at low speeds (makes city traffic easier) but also at higher speeds. I had some severe shimmy fully loaded at over 130kmh. If both ends are done, or only the rear, no problems. Also the side stand may need to be shortened an appropriate amount ~ 20/25mm. Centre stands are difficult to use fully loaded when lowered.

Photos of mine are at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/motorcycles/

http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Other-2/Bikes-and-Cars/32247422_2Lsf7N#!i=2804838412&k=LH9g9vR
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Surfnsound

Wow, wonderful shots of your bike Ken, and the trip is exactly what I had in mind doing with mine! :-) Certainly heavy but I took a R80GS fully loaded 2 up in the sand to Tunisia some years ago - and it was a heavy and difficult as well (of course we fell, but the panniers helped to get the bike up).

Ken: How much and how did you lower? The shop will add hyperpro springs in the front (not for the lowering but they might use the the same procedure as with normal spring to get the front down) and use the Lust lowering set in the back http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspension/triumph-tiger-900-lowering-kits.html). I let you guys know what has exactly been done when I pick her up.

Did you shorten your side stand? Indeed, I read that especially center might be difficult to lift the bike up. I am not sure why I would add a center stand? I used it a lot on the R80 GS... but its expensive for the Tiger.

And yes, many other questions to your bike:

What is the pannier rack you use (Hepco Becker?) and which panniers? I saw that Polo still sells the Hepco Beckers racks at +/- 250 € (http://www.polo-motorrad.com) for the T400. Any other links you know of?

You also did change the mud guard? Looks great!!! Custom made? And as well the front tire mud guard?

Sorry about all the questions, but your bike is just setup the way I imagine mine  :icon_lol:

Many thanks for the help here!!

Sin_Tiger

Invest in a set of crash bars, they will save you some tears one day and maybe just take your mind off the "what if's" letting you concentrate better.

I'd be surprised if you needed to shorten the side stand but you might have a rare one that hasn't bent over the years  :icon_rolleyes:

Getting it up on the mainstand with lowered suspension will be harder but not impossible, it's all in the technique, pull back rather than try to lift.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

Those are the ones, not the most substantial but they will do the job in a car park :nap not a bad price either.

Those racks are for a Girly 955i won't fit the Steamer.

Don't be tempted to waste your € on the flip up screen, unless you need somewhere to put stickers on, not much use for keeping anything off you  :icon_rolleyes:

fishnbiker

Quote from: Surfnsound on September 29, 2014, 08:48:55 AM
Wow, wonderful shots of your bike Ken, and the trip is exactly what I had in mind doing with mine! :-) Certainly heavy but I took a R80GS fully loaded 2 up in the sand to Tunisia some years ago - and it was a heavy and difficult as well (of course we fell, but the panniers helped to get the bike up).

I have been putting Felix through a long evolution over the 18 years in my possession. Sand is still my one & only nemesis while loaded. Now I avoid it, got enough other great backroads here in British Columbia. When downed I find standing on the bottom of the rear wheel gives oomph while assistants get it vertical, using the hard boxes as a fulcrum.

Ken: How much and how did you lower?

I'm 6'0'' ~183cm. I originally lowered the front 25mm & then the rear by rotating the axle adjuster as usually noted, losing 40mm in altitude. Finding too much bottoming out on rough gravel forced me to build a much larger bash plate to cover my 3 into 1 header as well as the whole bottom of the engine back to the suspension grease nipple. After losing too much time bashing out the dents, I went back to stock height at the front until I mounted the 21" rim. I needed to re-lower the front to bring the bike back closer to stock height. The rear of the chain guard also needed a 25mm tube spacer & longer bolt to clear the new chain position. This wears the chain slider more quickly necessitating annual change-out. I hope I solved part of that by fabricating the lower section out of hard nylon & screwing onto the swing arm. No major wear after 3 years in place.

The shop will add hyperpro springs in the front (not for the lowering but they might use the the same procedure as with normal spring to get the front down) and use the Lust lowering set in the back http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspension/triumph-tiger-900-lowering-kits.html). I let you guys know what has exactly been done when I pick her up.

Did you shorten your side stand?

I cut about 20mm out of it & sleeved a piece of steel stock inside & rewelded it together. Being a lot on soft ground, I also added a foot to the bottom of the stand, 30mm x 60mm.

Indeed, I read that especially center might be difficult to lift the bike up. I am not sure why I would add a center stand? I used it a lot on the R80 GS... but its expensive for the Tiger.

Difficult to lift fully loaded, not so bad without full luggage. I got mine about 15 years ago, would never own another bike without one, for chain & tire maintenance, let alone flats or changes. My annual maintenance dictates either the complete front or rear end gets stripped to individual pieces for cleaning & new lube. The centre stand is priceless to me. Even My Suzuki DR650 also has one now. My Honda FT500 doesn't even have a sidestand.

And yes, many other questions to your bike:
What is the pannier rack you use (Hepco Becker?) and which panniers?

Both homemade in night school welding classes. Based on http://www.happy-trail.com system.

I saw that Polo still sells the Hepco Beckers racks at +/- 250 € (http://www.polo-motorrad.com) for the T400. Any other links you know of?

Not at this late stage. More homework may be needed.

You also did change the mud guard? Looks great!!! Custom made? And as well the front tire mud guard?

The front one is a standard motocross fender picked up for about $25 with a rubber flap added on from a truck tire liner cut & pop riveted in place. The alloy mount was made in Seattle WA. USA by another inmate Aeronca. Easy pattern to copy from 2~3mm stock. The rear also has a mudflap added.

Sorry about all the questions, but your bike is just setup the way I imagine mine  :icon_lol:

Many thanks for the help here!!

Flattery will get you everywhere!
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

dave NL

At sprintmanufacturing.co.uk they sell an fitting kit for Givi panniers. But it does need a little work to make it fit properly. I actually re-welded 2 lugs to make it fit. And you will need a bunch of washers to space out the rack. Otherwise itwould be a great kit.
Getting the tiger back on the road.