News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

inappropriate question?

Started by Nick Calne, November 08, 2014, 01:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Can I ask a car question here?  :nono

My pajero has blown the radiator hoses to bits 3 times in couple of months now and I just don't know why this is happening. No goop in the oil, does that rule out head gasket failure?

Why isnt the pressure being released into the expansion tank? My limited understanding was that the rad cap was a sort of pressure release valve that did this. It moves fine, but could it still be broken? Blocked rad, thermostat? Where is so much pressure coming from to blow the hose?

Not a big problem as it is very old, 'spare' car I have for fun purposes only but I do enjoy it when the weather's wet. (My tiger is hydrophobic in its old age)

Any ideas gratefully received as I do love the old beast and its economic value is probably less than the cost of a trip to the garage... also it is getting embarrassing driving round town in a cloud of engine coolant leaving a wet trail as I go!

:^_^
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Hi Nick,Is there a restriction in the pipe to the exp tank?  Is there a forum for that vehicle you could ask on?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

The cap may be moving freely when you have it off but that doesn't guarantee,  a) it's moving when I place,  b) that is the correct cap for the engine. I would have thought you would have had problems during the warmer weather though.

Blow through the hose from the expansion tank back to the radiator with the cap off to check that's clear. Try running with the thermostat out on the drive to see what happens.  Careful as I a lot of cases the temperature sender is positioned where the steam collects and gives a unreliable temperature when it gets really hot. If it's a diesel you may not get water in oil indication.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geoff W

Does anyone do braided radiator hoses? There could be a niche market here :icon_biggrin:
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

John Stenhouse

If the pressure is high enough to blow a hose I would guess the head gasket.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Nick Calne

Thanks guys. Have decided to fix the pipe, check out the bits and bobs as suggested then limp off to the garage.

Sin_Tiger

Ask them to do a hydrocarbons test on the coolant before you go ripping things apart.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

Nick Calne

Head gasket, something to do with cams, a few other bits and bobs...... dead! What a sad end to a beautiful relationship!

John Stenhouse

That's a shame, I had a Range Rover go the same way, the costs were just too much......mind you I should have given mine to Sin

Sin_Tiger

I'm trying to downsize not collect more John  :nono

Winter project Nick  :icon_study:

Nick Calne

Just weighing that up Sin.

If that happens expect a text every 15 mins asking for advice!

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickcalne on November 29, 2014, 02:05:57 PM
Just weighing that up Sin.

If that happens expect a text every 15 mins asking for advice!

:ear  :ImaPoser