News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer bobbins

Started by JayDub, January 15, 2015, 11:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I'm looking into the possibility of fitting paddock stand bobbins to the swing-arm, and I'm interested to know if this has been done on a steamer before.  I'm having trouble with the bike sliding down the cradle type stand and also the fact that I have the scottoiler feed at risk.  Not being used to paddock stands I wondered if I could use a riv-nut or similar as a mount? (not used riv-nuts before) would it be secure enough?
Any advice greatly welcomed... no I don't have a center stand and I ain't paying 140 quid for one either  :nono

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Nice, but I don't want buy another stand, where is the spigot locating in that pic and is there a similar point on the steamer? ...I may get intimate with the MIG and some 40mm square tube I just happen to have stashed in the shed  :bad

threepot

Fits into s/arm bolt hole. Bike specific kits are available..or make your own :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

What's wrong with a centre stand? All the advantages of a paddock stand everywhere you go...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

Quote from: nickcalne on January 15, 2015, 11:02:53 PM
What's wrong with a centre stand? All the advantages of a paddock stand everywhere you go...
Quote from: JayDub on January 15, 2015, 11:57:44 AM
I'm looking into the possibility of fitting paddock stand bobbins to the swing-arm, and I'm interested to know if this has been done on a steamer before.  I'm having trouble with the bike sliding down the cradle type stand and also the fact that I have the scottoiler feed at risk.  Not being used to paddock stands I wondered if I could use a riv-nut or similar as a mount? (not used riv-nuts before) would it be secure enough?
Any advice greatly welcomed... no I don't have a center stand and I ain't paying 140 quid for one either  :nono

Nick Calne

Yes. I know, but why not? Surely not just for the sake of £140.

JayDub

Quote from: nickcalne on January 16, 2015, 08:50:35 AM
Yes. I know, but why not? Surely not just for the sake of £140.
Yeah why not, whats £140 - I'll get a two and have a spare - Maybe I'm not as affluent as you Nick, but as you're offering  :icon_wink: (I'll PM you the delivery address?)
I've spent hundreds on this bike -unexpectedly- I just can not justify any more, apart from the fact I'm (for various reasons) -unexpectedly- skint! ... I'll wait til you get your handkerchief.

JayDub

So... Does anyone know if the steamer swing-arm has any weak points where drilling & tapping a 6 or 8mm hole could cause problems? Mustang? - oh great oracle  :icon_biggrin: Just how thick is the alloy I wonder.
I've googled this and can't find much other than lightweight sports bikes, and later tigers with ready made lugs in place, but as other triumphs use the same build of swing-arm I thought there should be something  :icon_scratch:

Nick Calne

Sorry didn't know you were skint. I know a couple of people here aren't keen (inc mustang!), but a c/s is honestly the best value mod for a steamer even at £140.

As for swingarms... previously had one crack at the big bolt at back.  It wasn't cheap to replace, especially since a knowledgeable person round here told me a similar era trophy one would fit. It doesn't, so if it fucks up it probably means finding a new tiger one.

The alloy is reasonably sturdy but I would be tempted to take a bolt right through so the weight bears on both sides of the box section rather than one if you riveted a bobbin on.

Nick Calne

Idea. Could you not just weld a little block on the underside of the legs to stop the cradle sliding up the legs under load? Then you dont even have to buy bobbins or the adapter for the stand.

Send me a £10 in the post for the bright idea. I'm saving up for a spare centre stand!

JayDub

Quote from: nickcalne on January 16, 2015, 07:42:43 PM
I would be tempted to take a bolt right through so the weight bears on both sides of the box section rather than one
Thats where I'm heading, I don't have access to a TIG inverter so welding on a block isn't an option (If I did I would simply weld on a lug for the bobbins!) and it would be too arsey to do, the scottoiler feed would still be an issue - I would be happier with the security of bobbins, which I already have and I'll make my own adapters.  AND i don't have a tenner atm - I'm skint.
One day I may come across a c/s at the right price, but up until then I really can live without one, I'm thinking of going up a model later this year anyway, so It would be a bit of a waste.

Sin_Tiger

I wouldn't use rivnuts and if I was going to drill through I'd weld a through tube in place.

I like the idea of threaded blocks welded on the underside, I can help you with a set of bobbins I have spare if you want to go that way.

How do you propose to upgrade from a Steamer  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Yeah money aside, you can upgrade TO a steamer, not FROM a steamer! :icon_lol:

JayDub

That's a very good point and one of my dilemmas, someone I know has an '01 tiger which is up for grabs st the end of Sept, it's 'fully loaded' 19k, but I'd have to sell the steamer 1st and I think I'd regret it, thanks for th offer Niall, but I have a couple of sets from past bikes, it's the TIG I'm short of..... Are you coming to Wales in July? Or is that a daft question.