News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Please Help !!

Started by Geof9116, February 04, 2015, 01:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geof9116

I have a 1998 tiger 900 carb model. I had problems starting and traced it to a faulty side stand switch, now replaced. It now starts ok but cuts out when I change from first to second when riding. Any ideas guys and gals ??

Sin_Tiger

I would suspect you still have a fault in that circuit somewhere. Can we take it that it didn't cut changing between other gears?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geof9116

Hi, nope, just between 1st and 2nd as it passes through Neutral.  :^_^

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

:iagree have a close look at the relay base while you're at it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geof9116

Hmm, yes, never thought of that, what am I looking for on the base ?. Corrosion maybe ?.

Sin_Tiger

Yes, that and brittle or cracked plastic fittings that might not be supporting the connections when the relay is pushed in. Look at the cables where they join the spade connections.

JayDub

Is the neutral switch not a common fault on the steamer?  :^_^

Mustang

Quote from: Geof9116 on February 04, 2015, 11:41:10 AM
Hmm, yes, never thought of that, what am I looking for on the base ?. Corrosion maybe ?.
several reasons they fail,
weak coil which is slow to move/hold the contacts closed or open.............
I've seen the cheap ones triumph uses be filled completely with water ............
contacts burnt out/dirty , like points used to do in an ignition system....................
and the stuff Sin mentioned as well....................

Geof9116

And for my next question.....where do I find this relay and how do I identify it please ?.

Mustang

up to and including 97's it's under the left rear corner of the fuel tank . it's bolted to the frame backbone with one bolt .

on the 98's ????? they moved it , easy way to find it is to trace the wires back from the side stand switch . it is a 1"(approx.) black plastic cube ,

it may be under the front fairing , but check the wire colors to verify same color as wires on stand switch because there are also a couple of lighting relays under the front fairing that look identical.

Geof9116

I have it stripped down to bare bones, I can't find the elusive relay anywhere

motoOzarks

It's right there next to that black thing

:icon_scratch:
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Mustang

look at the right side base of cylinders , see the oil pressure switch ?
follow the wire from the oil pressure switch/sender (pink) to the plug .......
that plug has 1 other wire in it , yep the neutral switch wire (light green w/ white dash)
this wire goes to the relay you are looking for as well as to the green light on the dash
my bikes are in storage or I'd tell you exactly where the relay is on a 98  :icon_frown:

Geof9116

Thanks Mustang. I will take a look in the morning,