News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Just an interesting interaction.

Started by nickjtc, February 18, 2015, 02:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Got to work here in Revelstoke this morning (we come here once a month to do road tests) to find a fellow doing his 'written' test to get a learners licence to ride a motorcycle. While he was talking to one of the staff he found out that I ride a Triumph, so he wanted to chat. He is in his '60s, has never ridden a road bike before, but decided it was time. He has a brand new, un-ridden 800 (not the XC) sitting in his garage waiting for him to get his licence.

I commended him on his choice of machine but pointed out that it might be a bit of a handful for a novice rider.......  :augie :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

iansoady

It's funny that 650s, 800s and the like are now seen as "entry level" bikes whereas when I started (on a 150cc Francis Barnett Plover) a 500 was a big bike and a 650 a real roadburner.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

If it's one of the series 1 models,  the throttle can be a bit fierce off the stop for the unwary. A reristriction kit is available, I don't know if that will help at all,  the clutch is your traction control. The write up on the new ones suggest they are much softer.

They are making FB's again and they look nice too  http:// francis-barnett.org
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: iansoady on February 18, 2015, 01:15:27 PM
It's funny that 650s, 800s and the like are now seen as "entry level" bikes whereas when I started (on a 150cc Francis Barnett Plover) a 500 was a big bike and a 650 a real roadburner.

:iagree My first bike was a CB175, which, incidentally, did EVERYTHING I wanted it to. I could only dream of owning a 'big' 650 or 750 on my apprentice wages! It was five years before I could afford my first 'big' bike, a '77 GS750.

The fellow I spoke to is at least laying down a good foundation for his riding career by taking a motorcycle riding course before he starts riding the Triumph. That way he will have experience on a smaller and less powerful machine to start with.

iansoady

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 18, 2015, 03:44:18 PM

Yes, they're based on a (very) cheap Chinese 125 and do look good. But I don't think the additions would be worth the extra price.

There's a "trail" version of the base bike that looks quite good but those Chinese bikes do have a poor reputation - whether deserved or not I don't know.

And of course the modern Francis Barnett has even less to do with the original that Hinckley Triumphs have with Meriden.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Learning to ride a bike in your sixties!! that's called an organ donor I ride a bike on gut instinct something I acquired well before I was 30 and in fact make that before I was 25.

Re the size of the bike that's todays society gimme gimme gimme to quote a gent in the bike trade most modern folk are only interested in their helmet and leathers matching the colour of their bike how it works and how to ride it are a minor detail motorcycling has gone from a way of life to fancy dress on sunday.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 18, 2015, 10:44:00 PM
.......motorcycling has gone from a way of life to fancy dress on sunday.

:ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

I was at the Norwich BMW dealer trying to flog training courses last week.  I met many of those people.  I also saw an Orange 800 that had over 23k on the clock that must have all been done on a dyno because there wasn't a mark on it; it was as new.  Which says everything really.

Interestingly the place sells BMWs AND Harleys.  I was puzzled at first, but then, the target customer is about the same....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 18, 2015, 03:44:18 PM

To hijack my own thread even more. Just got around to looking at the fanny-b site. Those two machines look quite interesting. However I always grimace a bit when is says 'price on application'.

nickjtc

Post script to the story. When I was in Revelstoke again the other week the fellow showed up to do his road test on the Triumph. Nice bike.

Although not a flawless ride (never seen one tbh) he did extremely well. And if he continues to ride the way he did during his test I think he will have a long and happy riding career.