News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

another fuel consumption question

Started by klingklang, April 14, 2005, 01:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingklang

Hi, I'm at my first tiger, a pre owned 1999 lightning yellow 900EFI. I dont know much from the previous ownwer. By the time I got the bike I notice that the front fork is probably modified since it way stiffer from  other I tried, have the race can and the collector box is replaced by a straight pipe as the thunder bike adaptor.  The bike is awsome, feel great and pull hard and smooth idle. What is discouraging me is that I cant gore more that 250km(±155mi) before the light goes on. Mean that I have an average of 32mi/gal.(us).  I think it may be a wrong tune setting, I dont know if there is any setting change in.  When I playing with the throttle a few times (twisting repeatly)then i have some hesitation. By the dark black deposit aroud the exhaust, I'm probably to rich but what do you think. On my old bike, the reserve was comming around 450km(±280mi) and I find this avery annoying. I hate so much to stop for gas, as you probably do all!

sorry for my english!

guydan

I have a 2000 885i and just checked mileage over two tank fulls.  I got just over 49 miles/gal.  Granted it was a alot of steady-state 60 mph riding, but I would think that you should get at least 40+ miles/gallon.  The bike has the Triumph off-road can with a K&N filter with an appropriate tune and slightly taller gearing (19/48 tooth sprockets).
Cheers,

Doug

ArizonaKid

You should get considerably more that what you're experiencing. I'd have a qualified EFI tunner look at it to diagnose the problem.  It must be too rich and the fix might be something as simple as a different map/tune. Good luck.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

barjan

I have the same colour tiger with race can (no collector) with sports tune. I also have a larger screen with laminar lip fitted. I guess this makes the front of the bike have the aerodymics of a door.

I do 1:18 (liter : km), that is app. 42 miles per gallon, with very much highway riding (speeds around 120 km/hour = 75 miles/hour) and always having the top box on. Light comes on at approx 350 km.

With very cold temperatures the bikes consumes up to 1:16, but when on holliday driving in the mountains it can go down to 1:22 or so.

In wintertime (and just before I changed the muffler) the light came on at around 280 km. I then added a substance to the fuel, intented to clean fuell injected motors. This seemed to work fine and fuell ratings improved.

I would suggest you put a bottle of that stuff in with a full tank and see if it gets better first. Black deposit is indeed too rich and not good.

ZANO

I finally got a full tank through the bike with the new ECU map and Tbike pipe.

I got 43mpg with moderately aggressive ridding over the past weekend.

This is pretty much the same as I got with the stock pipe and map

Cheers,

ZANO

Dick Boyer

Something must be wrong with my Tiger as I consistantly get 50mpg/Imperial gallon with some agressive throttle twisting.

klingklang

QuoteSomething must be wrong with my Tiger as I consistantly get 50mpg/Imperial gallon with some agressive throttle twisting.

I want your problem.....  No there is something probably wrong with my tune or the previous owner was very optimistic in the setting.  Now I need to find so dealer that I can trust to check that.  Not a piece of cake.  I also wrote two email to tuneboy in australia since a week and did not get any answer. Probably not in business anymore or just too independant, for me it is the same.

knarf

1999 EFI (Yellow of course)

I get 38mpg  about 150miles or 18.5ltrs before the light stays on constant.

I do a lot of traffic and mostly back twisties when I get the chance.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

klingklang

is there someone that had the same problem and had it solved?

tigerowner_ut

I get a consistant average of 46 mpg on a Yellow Tigger with a race can.  I get over 50MPG on 2 lane twisties, open freeways hurt my average.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

barjan

Quote from: "klingklang"is there someone that had the same problem and had it solved?

Read my post. It was either the new tune a.k.a. race can or the fuel cleaner substitute or both. The latter one you can find in (I guess) any garage (motorcycle or car), the former needs a triumph mechanic.

From your comment I notice you have a tuneboy installed or something similar. Then you can mess-up and you should go back to default. If not and just factory, you cannot adjust the tune yourself (or the mechanic.)

klingklang

QuoteFrom your comment I notice you have a tuneboy installed or something similar

no I dont have a tuneboy but I'd like to buy one. I"m just triing to contact them the for the second weeks now and I got no answer from them.  But maybe the previous owner did some tuneboy mess.

As to found a triumph dealer, here in Quebec,  you dont have a lot of choice. There is only two and I dont trust both of them. Triumph dont want to sell motorcycle here and it is obvious.  You should saw them at the last montreal motorcycle show. It was pathetic.

thank, il will try the cleaner at first, and maybe one day, sales or support from Tuneboy will answer me.

sorry for my english

regards