News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket cover

Started by HeavyHustler, March 18, 2015, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

So I was out in Nevada about to ride the Taste of Dakar and my master link gave up the ghost.  As you can imagine the chain whipped through the cover and put a hole in the clutch slave section.  Immediately oil started pouring out the bottom of the clutch slave and from the  hole inside the cover.  The knock from the chain apparently did something to the seals so oil kept coming from the clutch pushrod seal and out. 
Patched it up to limp home but thought I'd ask if anyone has a spare they are willing to part with before I order a new one from BikeBandit.

Cheers,
Mark

nickjtc

Once you get it sorted you might want to consider the sprocket-ectomy modification to make further front sprocket/chain maintenance chores a lot easier.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

That's a spot of bad luck, pity you're over there, hope you find one soon.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Well I'm sol on a new sprocket cover.  Triumph has no spares hiding anywhere.......SO!  If anyone happens to know of where I could acquire one let me know.  Otherwise I'll just get a local guy to fill the small hole with a weld.

Sin_Tiger

I could only find two and they're both in the UK, best is £25 but the shipping will be the issue as usual. I wonder if any of the other T400 models will fit and give you a better chance finding one. Sorry I'm not very well up on that aspect, someone else might be able to advise.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Only working from memory but I think the Trident one is the same.  A bit of time cross referencing part numbers on WorldofTriumph might reveal more  :icon_wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

all the t400 (900's) range will fit and is same
trophy 900, sprint executive ,trident,speed triple,
the 1200 cover will NOT fit

Mustang

HeavyHustler

Thanks lads.  Missed that one......dammit.

HeavyHustler

Quick question-  Are these covers made out of aluminium or magnesium?  Can you patch weld magnesium?
Cheers,
Mark

nickjtc

Quote from: HeavyHustler on April 01, 2015, 05:20:11 PM
Quick question-  Are these covers made out of aluminium or magnesium?  Can you patch weld magnesium?
Cheers,
Mark

Not magnesium, some kind of alloy. Don't know the answer to patch welding. Isn't magnesium flammable at higher temps??
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

HeavyHustler

If it's aluminium then I can get it patched.  Save a few bob.  :)

Mustang

cast aluminum................................

HeavyHustler

By all the dots does that mean no weld on cast aluminium? 

Mustang

it' will fill in , use someone who is familiar with welding cast aluminum

sprint motor on ebay , guaranteed or money back
23 xxx miles
$799 complete , even has starter motor and alternator .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Triumph-Sprint-900-OEM-Engine-in-great-running-condition-26-033-miles-/231381699239?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ATriumph|Model%3ASprint&hash=item35df6c8aa7&vxp=mtr