News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How do you remove the gas tank black side covers without breaking the tab

Started by benebob, March 28, 2015, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Is it possible to remove them without breaking the tab.  I broke both tabs today removing them.  I slid them off towards the back and they still broke.  Guess I will be buying new ones as I'm sure there is no way to glue these that they won't snap again.  Will I need the butt pug when I go to the stealership as I haven't found 'em on bikebandit?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Mustang

they are listed on bike bandit under
control and brake / oem parts / cockpit

bring lots of vaseline when you get to the dealer
bike bandit lists them at $81 each  :bug_eye

Bixxer Bob

Have a look around for someone that does plastic welding, it can be done quite successfully these days.  You may have to post them if there's no-one local but it has to be cheaper.

And there's no trick to removing them, just remove the screws (two one side, one the other) and lift them back and up.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

Obviously mine were a little on the tight side, I never had them off and apparently neither did the p.o.  Welding them won't do much I'm afraid long term as I would doubt JB weld would either.    I did find them listing elsewhere for  $40ish which isn't bad.  Seems that all the ones on ebay seem to have "tab issues" as well.  Def. finding I miss the 885i more and more.  Of course they are considered a brake and control/cockpit piece in Triumph's world.  :) 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 28, 2015, 10:37:44 PM
I'm beginning to worry about you  :augie

He's just trying to make the visit a little less painful for me.  Why would that worry you :)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: benebob on March 28, 2015, 09:59:26 PM
Obviously mine were a little on the tight side, I never had them off and apparently neither did the p.o.  Welding them won't do much I'm afraid long term as I would doubt JB weld would either.    I did find them listing elsewhere for  $40ish which isn't bad.  Seems that all the ones on ebay seem to have "tab issues" as well.  Def. finding I miss the 885i more and more.  Of course they are considered a brake and control/cockpit piece in Triumph's world.  :)

Plastics are still a bit brittle with the cold after the winter.  Just broke two tabs on my motorhome dash today.  Normally it comes out no bother....  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...