News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Aluminium v Copper sealing washers. Various locations.

Started by London_Phil, March 29, 2015, 05:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi Guys.

Probably Granny sucking eggs time, but I just finished replacing my rear master brake cylinder and I noted I had Aluminium sealing washers where the rear brake line attaches via the brake switch at the top of the master cylinder.
This rang alarm bells, as I read in somewhere that Aluminium ones can corrode, and leak.
On inspection, the Aluminium washers WERE corroding, not badly, but for those who use there bikes all year in countries where salt is used, might be worth checking/replacing the washers with copper ones.
There was also one on the main oil gallery at the left side of the barrels, where there is a blanking plug, which you may or may not have, depending on your engine year, plus of course the front brakees and clutch parts.

Regards

Phil

PS From Wikipedia before you folks from the colonies complain   :augie

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates. The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as "chiefly British".

JayDub

:icon_wink: nice one Phil...
AND :qgaraduate its tyre not tire  :ImaPoser

Nick Calne

English is a silly language. 

Doesn't copper corrode too?  Can you use stainless steel ones?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: nickcalne on March 29, 2015, 11:12:52 PM
English is a silly language. 

Doesn't copper corrode too?  Can you use stainless steel ones?
:nod Like Sin said Nick, the washers need to compress to create a seal, copper is less susceptible to corrosion than Aluminium.

Nick Calne

Malleable and corrosion resistant?

BMW rider .... Gold. I need solid gold ones, with touratech laser etched on them.

Us lot ... copper seems a bit pricey and flash... but go on then.

iansoady

Copper does harden if left on the shelf. I always anneal copper washers, head gaskets etc whether new or re-using before fitting (get cherry red in a blowlamp then either quench in water or let cool in air). It's surprising how soft this makes them.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JayDub

Quote from: iansoady on March 30, 2015, 10:37:46 AM
Copper does harden if left on the shelf. I always anneal copper washers, head gaskets etc whether new or re-using before fitting (get cherry red in a blowlamp then either quench in water or let cool in air). It's surprising how soft this makes them.
Quenching would harden it giving small 'beaded particles in the grain, Annealing is by slow cooling, giving an elongated grain structure...
Thats wot I was lernt in college  :qgaraduate

iansoady

That's for steel. Copper anneals whether quenched or not. Try it!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Nick Calne

Wow, really?  Didn't know that.  So what process makes it harden in the first place?

iansoady

That's an interesting question....

The washers are often work-hardened by the stamping process. Head gaskets etc age-harden because of the repeated hot - cold cycles. But I'd await a proper metallurgist to give a learned view.

One advantage of water quenching for used washers / gaskets is that it gets rid of scale / burnt oil etc.

I always anneal copper as a matter of course.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JayDub

Right! I'm off to the shed - with me chemistry set  :icon_smile:

JayDub

:sign13 After exhaustive scientific tests, (A brazing torch, waterpump pliers and a piece of 10mm copper tube and bucket of water) I can confirm that Ian's  method is quite valid - and a good one...  :iagree
I'm gonna try with Brass next.

Nick Calne

Ha cool, love a bit of shed based experimentation - and the verdict from laboratoire Jaydub is..... it works!

There's a bloke on here called metalguru - with a name like that perhaps we should ask him!

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on March 31, 2015, 11:03:30 PM
:sign13 After exhaustive scientific tests, (A brazing torch, waterpump pliers and a piece of 10mm copper tube and bucket of water) I can confirm that Ian's  method is quite valid - and a good one...  :iagree
I'm gonna try with Brass next.
brass doesn't need as much heat

thats how we do bullet cases for reloading