News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Exhaust wrap

Started by nigeh, April 03, 2015, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigeh

Has anybody used an exhaust wrap on their Girly?

I was just wondering if using it does give any slight increase in power?? I need to squeeze every little extra from my 955i that is possible....I know the best way is to shed some weight, from me, but that is not going to happen any time soon as Easter is here  :hat10
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

Hi Nige

If I remember rightly your mate has a Multistrada so engine wise your always going to come up sucking your thumb!! the exhaust wrap is a new one on me I've only ever come across it used to either stop you burning you leg on high level pipes or just for pure fashion.

I've mentioned my encounters before with Multi's you'll have to look to the suspension dept and even then if your running a 19" wheel pushing too much is asking for trouble.

Oh and no Le-Mans this month first time in 17 years  :icon_frown:

Dutch

Put knobbies on the bike and blame it on the tires. Then take an unpaved road and have a good laugh when your mate sh#ts himself with that expensive bike of his  :hat10

Sin_Tiger

Are you burning your legs?  If not is going to be a huge waste of time and money and if you go any further than the nearest Starbucks, it'll look like sh1te by the time you get there.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nigeh

Cheers will have to look elsewhere!!

Yes Chris I will be chasing the 1200S Multi in and around the passes in the Alps soon!!  Sorry to hear you not attending Le Mans this year, I have never been to any of the racing there yet only 1 hour 40 mins from us!

Last time I put knobblies on a bike was my DT175MX, they were NHS (Not Highway Standard  :icon_mrgreen:) and used to walk across the road on fast ish bends so no way am I using them ever again!!  Thinking about it I have them on my CR500  :icon_mrgreen:

Not burning anything just wanted some extra ponies/grunt!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 04, 2015, 03:38:26 PM
Are you burning your legs?  If not is going to be a huge waste of time and money and if you go any further than the nearest Starbucks, it'll look like sh1te by the time you get there.
:ImaPoser  :iagree

NortonCharlie

So there is no performance advantage to a hot (internally) exhaust?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Mustang

the #1 reason for exhaust wrap is to cut down under-hood temps , thereby letting the engine run in a cooler environment .
and sqeaking a bit more oomph out of it .
tiggers don't have this issue , no hood  :bad
unless you are burning your leg exhaust wrap on a bike is pretty much pointless.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree

I theory, yes but if you do 10 dyno runs before and 10 runs after fitting, you'd be hard pushed to make a convincing case and you certainly wouldn't notice at the seat of your pants. Mix into this an engine and system that's done a few thousand miles and really it's just window dressing. It works better with 2T's  :wheel

I can only speak for myself but I'd rather put the money saved towards a few track day lessons if I'm going chasing sports bikes in stilettos  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nigeh

So I will not be wasting time on exhaust wrap, thanks for the input!

As far as track days, don't need any lessons just need more ponies.  I used to have a hayabusa for 6 years and although that was a while ago now, as had the Tiger for 7 years, I do miss the ooomph of the busa but not the riding position!!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

If you have the K+N filter/map/aftermarket pipe/airbox mod and 19T sprocket then that's it end of.

From my encounters with GS's I can turn e'm inside out on the corners with my 17" front wheel but you can never match a big twin for torque when coming out of the said the problem being that a Multi has both.

The only time I've encountered a Multi and it's struggled is in high speed sweepers because the ones with the electric sus don't have the right setting.

Dutch

:iagree with previous poster about the wrap

Quote from: nigeh on April 04, 2015, 06:18:52 PM
Last time I put knobblies on a bike was my DT175MX, they were NHS (Not Highway Standard  :icon_mrgreen:) and used to walk across the road on fast ish bends so no way am I using them ever again!!  Thinking about it I have them on my CR500  :icon_mrgreen:
Try a pair of Heidenau K60 Scouts, they seem to do quite well both on and off the macadam. Or Continental TKC80 if you want even more dirt orientated but still be able to ride the black stuff  :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

:nod if you've got the skills, which I don't,  then it's maybe time for you to look at a used Roadie. Good aftermarket can, good filter and a bit of time on a dyno with someone who knows what they are doing, good aftermarket shock, stock front springs are ok for most, oil and air gap is more important and some time dailing the front and rear in to suit you.  Then you'll have your mate looking in his mirrors with concern  :bad

nigeh

Ummm don't really like the 1050 may as well have a Fazer!  :icon_mrgreen:

I tried one when I was trading my K1200GT in, which I swapped, cash my way. for my Tiger at a Triumph dealer.  It is the look of the 1050 that bothers me as not really an adventure bike stance which is what I was looking for.  I really wanted a GS1150 Adventure...........until I rode one  :augie

Chris what have you done to the front end of yours?  Has anyone swapped the whole front end for a more modern set-up like upside forks and 17" front wheel??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

Hi Nige

Blimey where do I start  :icon_scratch: the problem is mine is an early spoke wheel version taking it to a 17" has been interesting taking a mag wheel version to the same may or may not be a touch too far because Triumph altered the head angle on the mag wheel one's so I just don't know how you would get on.

I put Ohlins forks springs and increased the oil to 15wt and also the quantity combine that with a very stiff set up on the back I'm happy to put it up against allcomers there is another part to this story as I've had allsorts of hassle with the rear Ohlins because of the stiff set up that I run because of being two up with a pile of gear but even fully kitted up it still steers like a mini moto.

Where it gets really complicated almost certainly I/we will buy a DVT either the end of this year or the beginning of next the ergos are a world away from the current bike but the rub is the size of the tank where as the tiger has that bit extra and certainly doing the Portsmouth/B'Ham run the Tiger is always going to be the quicker bike because of not having to stop for fuel and you can lump the 1050 Tiger in it with as well because I've ridden from Holyhead back to B'Ham with two 1050's and neither could do it on a tank so we buggered off and left e'm  :icon_wink: