News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Steamer. Starter won't turn, engine locked. HELP !

Started by Danwarb, May 10, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I've recently bought my second steamer since my first was stolen and I absolutely love it.

Since buying it I've been out with it a few times and she flies. Only 8500 miles on the clock !

How ever yesterday it wouldn't start. The starter motor makes not even one turn and locks up.
So I charged the battery last night and today the same. I put the bike in to 1st to see if I could push the bike to get the engine to turn over but it won't, it seems the engine has locked up or maybe not?

What should I try next?

I'm happy to take the bike part apart and fix her my self; I'm a quick learning novice!?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ram33

if it wont turn with front sprocket pulley then i would take off the cam cover and check cam chain hasnt snapped or tensioner gone locking the engine.
unlikley though with such low mileage
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Danwarb

Hi Ram,

Thanks for the reply. Is it me or should I be able to get the engine turning while in 1st gear as I push the bike along?

Which engine plate should I start removing?

Once I get start I'll be on my my way?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

I remember with my BSA B25 it used to leak petrol into the cylinder, causing hydraulic lock. Have you tried taking the plugs out, and gently rotating the engine via back wheel?.

GavD

Stick her in neutral, remove the cover arrowed and stick a socket on the end of the bolt in the middle and give it a try.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

iansoady

It is actually much harder to turn the engine over in 1st by pushing it - try in top gear and try pushing both forward and backward. If it won't move like that then there's definitely something jamming it. I'd be surprised if it was hydraulic lock as suggested by Phil, but it could be. Taking the plugs out is of course a bit more involved than on a B25 (three times as many for a start!)
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nickjtc

Quote from: London_Phil on May 10, 2015, 05:55:33 PM
I remember with my BSA B25 it used to leak petrol into the cylinder, causing hydraulic lock. Have you tried taking the plugs out, and gently rotating the engine via back wheel?.

Is hydraulic lock a possibility?? I suppose if the float bowl outlet/s were blocked and the float needle was clogged up with mung then there would be nowhere else for the fuel to go....???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Fuel would pour out of the overflow.

Iansoady is right, it won't turn in 1st but might in 6th, however, if it is jammed you could make things considerably worse.  Gav has the better idea, using a socket and wrench to gently try to turn it over is less likely to do damage.  You'll soon know if it's locked or just a starter motor / solenoid issue. 

Your first post suggests the motor does turn slightly but not a full turn;  does it?  I'm assuming everything lights up as it should when you turn the ign on?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danwarb

Guys thanks SO much for your time.

Yes all electrics (to a novice) seem fine.

Funny you mention the carb floats not closing possibly causing problems; this is exactly what I'm still dealing with as well and have the MIKUNI carbs out again sitting in front of me and for the life of me am trying to work out where the petrol leak is caused from. They look lovely and clean. The float heights are different by about 1.5 mm Would that make such a difference? How on earth do I adjust them?

I've also found a trick to test if the floats are closing the fuel off or not. I squeezed on a length of fuel hose to one end of the float mechanisms fuel line then blew through the pipe to hear the air travelling out of each. I then simultaneously closed each float to have the air be stopped by the little valve. It works on two and on one I can still just, just about hear I can still blow air through it so I guess this must be it. It's a tiny, tiny amount of air I can blow through this one but I've got to go with this as I can't find anything else (and the float heights) and am replacing this one needle with this one:

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/product.php/5158931/

When it arrives I'll work out how on earth to replace it !

Tomorrow I'm also going to buy a MOTOBATT as I know them to be very reliable  batteries and  they dont even require charging. I'll fit that then see if the motor turns.
If not I'll then take that crank case off and try that just to be sure that at least the engine can turn over. If the engine can turn over then it's likely the starter motor but I really want to avoid taking this out as I've seen its behind a bit fat hose connected to the main block.

She's a beautiful bike. I can't wait to get her sorted.

Any further tips on anything I mention here I'd very much welcome.

Thanks again guys.

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885

ram33

tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Sin_Tiger

Make sure you give the Motobatt a full charge before you try ANYTHING, at leastovernight, don't want to kill a nice new battery.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2015, 11:29:04 PM
Make sure you give the Motobatt a full charge before you try ANYTHING, at leastovernight, don't want to kill a nice new battery.

Hi Sin,

These MOTOBATT batteries come fully charged and ready to go.
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Quote from: ram33 on May 10, 2015, 10:53:12 PM
orings round float prob leaking
see this thread
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?topic=12561.0
can get a sets of seals here as well as the float valve
http://www.motocarb.com/

Brilliant !

I'll ask if they also have the replacement bolts for float bowl tray screws.

I've already replaced the 'o' rings at each end of each float and the seal gasket around on each float bowl.

I've just now worked out how to change the float needles and adjust the float heights. It really is a case of pulling the float sections apart then bending the little spring plates !! I've also read the optimum height to set these MIKUNI carb floats is 14.5mm.

Listen to me, I'm starting to sound like you guys !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

nickjtc

Quote from: Danwarb on May 10, 2015, 11:36:19 PM
Listen to me, I'm starting to sound like you guys !

GOOD for you. Won't be long until you are bs-ing like the rest of us.  :icon_lol: :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

I would try Gavs suggestion. Take plugs out,then remove cover and turn engine over. If that's OK,likely to be starter/electrical issue? If you have to remove starter,draining and re-filling coolant is straight forward on these. Try new battery with plugs out?,and check solenoid connections. Probably/hope its something simples!
95 Super111
96 Tiger