News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Brake Pads

Started by nickjtc, May 17, 2015, 02:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

I need new rear brake pads (not now, right now) and am loath to go to the nearest Triumph dealer, who is not really near anyway. Do any of the other OEMs (honyamakawzuki) use the same pads?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

GavD

either order online, or get a more local dealer to order these for you

EBC - FA215/2 (normal) or FA215/2HH (Sintered)

or

Ferodo FDB631
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Going price for makes like EBC HH is about £26 (Posted) currently.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 17, 2015, 11:51:51 AM
Going price for makes like EBC HH is about £26 (Posted) currently.

Thanks for that. EBC pads here (depending on the type) go for anything between $34 and $45 a pair. I'll hurry off to the local motorcycle emporium and order some. A word to the wise. Check your pads and do not let them reach this state!!  :augie

nickjtc

EBC pads, $50 delivered by Expresspost. Job done.

Now I have to slap myself for letting the others get to that horrible worn state!

Note to self: check fronts too.

Bixxer Bob

Were they both like that?  the rear caliper, on Girlies anyway, seizes more easily than the fronts and then wears one pad more than the other.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 18, 2015, 11:57:08 AM
Were they both like that?

No, just one side. The other was well past its 'best by' date but had not quite reached the metal. I am going to strip the pistons out of the caliper while I am waiting for the pads just to be sure that all is well internally.

t4tiger

Love the back brake on these things. Use it all the time and it always feels strong and reassuring.  Will even lock up if used too robustly.  Pity the front isn't so good.  Feels really wooden even after bleeding/changing fluid. 

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: nickjtc on May 18, 2015, 06:06:03 PM

No, just one side. The other was well past its 'best by' date but had not quite reached the metal. I am going to strip the pistons out of the caliper while I am waiting for the pads just to be sure that all is well internally.

If the pads don't wear more or less evenly, it's the slide pins that need attention.  Carefully peel back the rubber boots and separate the two halves of the caliper.  Remove the old grease, clean the pin and rubber boots and regrease before re-assembly.  I use rubber-friendly red grease on them.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 19, 2015, 11:46:39 PM
If the pads don't wear more or less evenly, it's the slide pins that need attention.  Carefully peel back the rubber boots and separate the two halves of the caliper.  Remove the old grease, clean the pin and rubber boots and regrease before re-assembly.  I use rubber-friendly red grease on them.

Alrighty. Thanks for that.

rf9rider

I bought a set of stainless pins, for both front and back.

Well worth doing imho.

nickjtc

Quote from: rf9rider on May 20, 2015, 02:13:06 AM
I bought a set of stainless pins, for both front and back.

Where did you get them from?

rf9rider

Ebay i think, if not, Sprint Manufacturing used to do them.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: rf9rider on May 20, 2015, 12:59:34 PM
Ebay i think, if not, Sprint Manufacturing used to do them.

Yup they still do, you have to do a search as they are not categorised correctly. You can also get stainless pistons, pad pins, bleed nipples and hose clamp bolts.

These calipers don't split, make sure you dig All the old grease out of the dead end guide. Change the rubbers, is not worth cleaning them just to replace them in a few months.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

And again, thanks. I'll be interested in seeing what shape the innards are in.