News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

It was nice......

Started by nickjtc, July 16, 2015, 11:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

.... hanging out with all of you august chaps over the last 20 months or so. I learned a lot about my trusty ride, Stanley.

Alas, he has moved on to a new home on the other side of the Rockies, and gone to live with a nice fellow who used to own a Steamer in the UK and who always wanted another one.

So, of course, I am now on the horns of a dilemma, since the rule in Nick's garage is "when one bike leaves, another takes its place". I really would like another Thruxton, but a friend has a 2008 Roadie which has been sitting in his garage, unloved, for the last year since being ousted by a brand new KTM. If I end up with the latter I'll still be hanging around this forum, albeit with a different bunch of chaps.

Thanks very much for the entertainment and information everyone, and remember: ride safe and ATGATT!!

Nick
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

Fairly drastic move to get out of the 2016 USA meet
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on July 17, 2015, 01:24:29 AM
Fairly drastic move to get out of the 2016 USA meet

Har har, har de har :icon_lol: If I get the Roadie I would still be welcome...??? But who knows where the band of merry men will end up if they make it over to this side of the water. :augie

If they end up somewhere hereabouts (as in on the west side of the continent) I would make the trip to join up anyway, whatever the blasphemous motorcycle I am riding.  :icon_wink:

nickjtc

Stop press: negotiations in place to get the 2008 Roadie.

If I do I am bound and determined to jump start the 1050 section of this forum. It's much more fun playing with old friends than trying to make new ones!  :icon_wink:

Here is the bike on a road trip in 2012 to Idaho, Oregon and Washington. I was on my XR650 in the background.

Sin_Tiger

If it's the right money, go for it. They are still flying under the radar as a capable comfy sports tourer in my opinion.

Budget for:-

Palmer or Madstad screen adjusting brackets, the additional flip helps but doesn't really work for 90%.
HID conversion for the low beam. The first time you ride an unlit country road you'll know why  :bug_eye steer clear of cheap"Asian" imports,  horrible beam pattern and often don't last. Try HID50.com.
If you struggle with the seat height (about the same as a stock Steamer) go for lowering dogs bones and slip the fork ties up 15-20mm. Don't waste your time and money trying to sculpt the seat, you'll achieve nothing other than ruining a perfectly comfy seat,  the problem is the width at the thigh.
The chromed bars are OK for most but some like a tad more height, personally I think they look ridiculous on a Tiger.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Thanks for that. More news as it progresses.

I do not ride much at night any more, so will be interested to see what a difference the auxiliary lights make. Gerry, the current owner, swears by them and puts them on every bike he gets.