News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885i part numbers

Started by TR5TRIDER, July 17, 2015, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Having purchased a 2000 Tiger, i have found that the websites I have used in the past when seeking part numbers for my Steamer and Sprint, both 885 carbed bikes are of no use as they omit all reference to 1999 & 2000 885i Tigers.
Question: is this because Triumph are ashamed or embarrassed by these bikes? It is as, if they make no mention of these machines, then owners will believe that they have been sold a counterfeit bike as there are no 1999 & 2000 Tigers! Can anyone explain this mystery to me?

Bert

John Stenhouse

Never had a problem , listed separately on all the sites I look at, as any bodywork part is the same as 955 stuff you can shop there and my local yamaha dealer beats the pants off the franchised dealer for parts service and price so I go there.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

TR5TRIDER

John,
What site are you using? All the sites I have been using are Triumph dealers here in U.S. and omit the 885i Tigers.
Bert

John Stenhouse

John Stenhouse

KuzzinKenny

Hey TR5TRIDER !! have a looky at this site ..................

http://triumphparts.calmoto.com

genuine Triumph part numbers  :thumbsup i only found them a couple O month ago !!

hope this helps

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

John Stenhouse

Good shout KK, it looks from a quick glance at that site that the 885i isn't listed but it's there under1998 year listing

TR5TRIDER

Thank you for the replies, I can find no Tiger listed for the year 2000 on CalMoto. The part numbers on World of Triumph are unrecognizable to me as Triumph part nos. go here in the U.S. with the "PFKL" prefix to ech number sequence and the Bike Bandit site uses a system of numbering that seems to be unique to themselves and gets me nowhere with my nearest Triumph dealer. Not a big thing in  my life. Just curio as to why Triumph is doing this. If I really want to know the part no. I can go to the dealer as it is a nice 1.5 hr ride from my place. So what is it about 885i Tigers and the mystery part no. thing?

Chris Canning

Folks always love the conspiracy theories but there isn't one,but you might be close to the embarrassed bit Triumph have a 4 year cycle for their engines the 885i was shut down in less than two where as the 955 motor that came in 2001 still exists in an upgraded  form with the latest Sport Tiger.

http://triumphparts.calmoto.com/Triumph_1998_Tiger885i.html

Where it gets real complicated the 885i part numbers are totally different from the 2001/4 955i numbers but the rolling chassis is the same as are the tank/body panels silencer seat etc,electrics are suspect as is the motor which is totally different as are the header pipes and oil cooler.

The rear shock and forks are the same the internal spec in different so always look for the 955 bits they are better although I use the term reluctantly because they were crap as well but not quite as bad  :icon_frown:

TR5TRIDER

Chris,
Thank you for making that clear. I personally subscribe to Triumph attempting "The emperor has no clothes" ploy in which their inadmission to there ever being in existance a 1999 - 2000 Tiger. The result may be that those of us that own these rare non existent machines will in time find that we own very desirable and collectable bikes.  How is that for a conspiracy?
Bert

Chris Canning

Inadmission to there ever being in existence a 99-2000 perhaps Triumph and myself use the same technique then because I had
:icon_redface: and I don't spend too much time thinking about either.  :icon_wink:

As for desirable and collectable I think that's wishfull thinking  :icon_biggrin:

Their are some good 885i's out there but that down to pot luck not great design.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: John Stenhouse on July 17, 2015, 01:21:39 AM
Good shout KK

I got wayyyyyyyy to much time on me hands but i do find stuff  :ImaPoser :icon_wink:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly